A new programme of entertainment for Charlbury?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 10 Jun 2011, 01:07

Hi Jon, hope it went well tonight. Sorry I couldnt come but would be interested in hearing more. Sounds like a good idea.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 9 Jun 2011, 16:36

Just to remind anyone interested that there is a meeting tonight at 7.30pm in the Corner House (Ann Downer Room) to take this idea forward. It's a meeting for would-be activists, people who would like to help put on a diverse programme of entertainments in the Memorial Hall.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 27 May 2011, 14:30 (last edited on Fri 27 May 2011, 14:30)

I think it is worth pointing out that enormous effort goes into fundraising in Charlbury: Street Fair (who also organise the Open Gardens day and the Jazz Lunch) and the Beer Festival provide high spots in the town's annual life, and also raise tens of thousands of pounds for good causes, most of them local.

Street Fair raises about £15,000 a year for the upkeep of the Memorial Hall and Corner House alone.

But there is an irony here. While so much effort is put in by so many people for the upkeep of the two buildings, little thought is given to how they are used. Most of the rooms are empty most of the time and the Memorial Hall is surprisingly under-used (in the week beginning Monday June 6 there are only two evenings booked, badminton twice for 2 hours each).

In other villages/small towns, activities and events are usually programmed by the 'village hall committee'. The kind of entertainment ChOC would like to organise is generally planned by such a committee. In Charlbury we do things differently. No one takes an overview. So a tremendous amount of effort goes into fundraising, but in the case of the major beneficiaries (the Hall and the Corner House) no one tries to ensure a wide and excellent variety of entertainments.

When the rural touring initiative spread to Oxfordshire and the Good Night Out! scheme was launched, it immediately became apparent that Charlbury was in no position to benefit and take part. That's what ChOC would like to change: Charlbury deserves better. We already bring in good films: now help us bring in good music, good drama, good magicians, good storytellers, and so on... A very small committee could make it all work with ease. Who else will join?

Edward Fenton
👍

Thu 26 May 2011, 22:30

Hi Charlie - if the string quartet still exists, perhaps it would be possible to bring it back under the 'Good Night Out' programme, which sounds like a great way of reinvigorating the cultural life of the town. Jon Carpenter's posting asked for people to put themselves forward, and although obviously most people have lots of other things on their plate, it sounds like a great way of getting involved in this community and shaping its character and its future.

Charlie M
👍

Thu 26 May 2011, 15:04

In the late 90s there was a FABULOUS string quartet concert at the school, organised (I think) under the auspices of the much-loved and still missed HOTHOUSE, before it closed due to the actions and misrepresentations of certain local characters. I remember the concert as being very well attended and greatly appreciated, including by myself, as it was the first time I ever heard the magnificence that is Ravel's String Quartet!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 25 May 2011, 11:34

Great idea, Brigid. That is exactly the kind of thing (among others) ChOC would like to put on. Would you like to help organise it?

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Wed 25 May 2011, 10:55

String quartets (or trios, or duos) appeal to me very much, and I'd be happy to join in a preview. Without wishing to derail the discussion, however, could I ask if any local players of chamber music would be willing to give informal concerts to a paying audience, perhaps under the auspices of a new Charlbury music society (CHARMS?)? A couple of such performances by local players took place in the school and (I think) the Corner House 10 or 12 years ago.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 24 May 2011, 09:06

That's right Chris. It's called Good Night Out. ChOC members have previewed about a dozen acts at a showcase event in the Theatre and most were brilliant. That's why we are keen to take it up. But we need to share the workload.

Chris Bates
👍

Tue 24 May 2011, 08:41

There's a Rural Touring Scheme being run through the Chippy Theatre that makes acts available at very reasonable cost - the Autumn / Spring season is being made available any time now.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 23 May 2011, 22:50

ChOC (the community cinema group) is thinking of reviving the practice whereby we 'tour' productions and performers of various kinds into the town. A new scheme for Oxfordshire called 'Good Night Out!' means we are able to preview a variety of different acts that we could book to appear in Charlbury over the coming year.

Charlbury would make an excellent venue for everything from string quartets, plays and operas to stand-up comics, mime artists and poets. If you would like to be involved in choosing and running some of these events, please let me know.

ChOC is well equipped to show a monthly film, but we do not have the human resources to develop more widely. If you would like to come on board and share the work and responsibility of bringing a variety of entertainments to Charlbury, please get in touch: email me at jon@phonecoop.coop or phone me in the evenings on 01608 238242.

Or use this forum thread to make (practical!) suggestions and comments.

Jon Carpenter (Secretary, ChOC)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.