Dean Pit

Liz Leffman
👍

Tue 7 Jun 2011, 10:35

I am still proposing to hand in our petition - I have been allocated a slot with the chair of the environment committee at the next meeting which is July 28th. They will allow a small delegation and we get three minutes to put our point of view. If anyone wants to join me and Glena (and possibly Eve Coles, the Chipping Norton councillor) please let me know.

Alan Hanks
👍

Thu 2 Jun 2011, 16:15

Just been handed leaflet by staff at Dean Pit, it is definitely closing at 5-00pm on Sept 30th 2011.
So much for representation and discussion.

Chris Tatton
👍

Tue 5 Apr 2011, 21:31

Could the County Council extend the closing date for the Dean Pit recycling centre on a temporary basis, from September 2011 until the replacement facility is open?

john h
👍

Sun 3 Apr 2011, 11:24

Charlotte.
Glena is a West Oxfordshire District Councillor, not a Town Councillor.

John Harrison

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 2 Apr 2011, 21:59

Dear Glena,

You?re so right ? you?re not the only Charlbury Town Councilor and it shouldn?t have to be just you ? to do everything and be the only one to voice your opinion!

Aren?t these the other fellow Charlbury town councilors: Mr R N Potter, Mrs H Bessemer-Clark, Mr W Hackmann, Mr. R Prew, Mrs N Lethbridg, Mrs V Pakenham-Walsh, Mr G Miller, Ms L Reason, Mr I Cox, Mr R James &Mr Breakell

I?ve only heard from our lovely Susie and Mr J Harrison!
Best wishes,
Charlotte

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 2 Apr 2011, 19:59

There should have been an Environmental Impact Assessment raised somewhere for some reason which should have some bearing on this, unless regulations have changed (and there have been some big ones which I haven't kept up with what with illness and childcare, with regards to Planning practice). Things like Junk Miles (TM) would be the sort of thing considered if it was any good (and if not why not??). Time for some cross examination of some relevant officers who had better have some homework done. In my time if an officer was asked to brief a councillor on a point their gonads would have been on the christmas tree if they didn't have the relevant information to hand, but we played rough in London politics!

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 2 Apr 2011, 19:00

Sorry Malcolm---one should mever post (or read) in a hurry !! I have reread your post and see it suggests I get an officer to create the report he mentions, not do it myself (as if I was qualified too !!) Well, it's a good idea but all seem a bit pressed at the moment.

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 2 Apr 2011, 18:27

Sorry Malcolm---one should mever post (or read) in a hurry !! I have reread your post and see it suggests I get an officer to create the report he mentions, not do it myself (as if I was qualified too !!) Well, it's a good idea but all seem a bit pressed at the moment.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 2 Apr 2011, 15:28

Gosh, I realize that I now sound like the Charlbury?s biggest ?NAG?! Hey ho!

However, I?ve had some great supporters, so please do understand that my intentions are not to be ill mannered. I should be allowed to have a voice, on this democratic (Great British!) island, as they are my rights - as a tax payer (not a benefit sponger!)

Anyway, I thought that?s what the Charlbury forum was all about -important Charlbury issues!

So, I just cannot fathom out, why no-one has added their thoughts to this forum - about the closure of Dean Pit this September 2011. There are 3000 Charlbury residents, who at some point have and will continue to use Dean Pit! Someone must have a voice/opinion? Someone must have some time ? to sort this issue out? Someone must have some knowledge of how ? this decision to close Dean Pit, would add to all greater issues ? that concerns us all, not just in Charlbury, but all our surrounding villages?

I would like to add, how recently I?ve seen streams of West Oxfordshire?s recycling lorries on all roads, in each direction, on Tuesdays/Wednesdays and Thursdays- in and out of Charlbury. All that fuel can?t be cost effective. However, there are all ways that each household can help matters here, and to help our Council?s cutbacks. We all should pull together, have our own gardening compost heap ? for our gardeners, for example? I could carry on here, but would to hear all concerned Charlbury folks thoughts here. The meeting is this Monday!

glena chadwick
👍

Sat 2 Apr 2011, 14:20

Malcolm---yes,I am still a councillor !! Presumably 'raising' a report means writing one to submit to the relevant authorities ?? I'm not trying to be clever--thast's not a familiar expression to me and I want just to work out exactly what you mean. If that is so, the kind of report you describe sounds as if it would involve many hours (weeks ?) of research. I do work as hard as I can at being a councillor but it is (supposed to be !!) a part-time job though it usaully goes far beyond that. I have other things---my own research, a little bit of teaching etc. that I also do.
About Dean Pit though---as I said I have constantly lobbyed ever since the closure was mooted and put as many arguments as I was able to. I agree with the implications of what you are saying---the environmental impact would be detrimental. I hope as many people as possible will make their views known before Monday.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 1 Apr 2011, 23:58

This does seriously compromise environmental benefits - reduce recycling, increase dumping, or increase (a new calculation) "junk miles". Perhaps Glena would like to get an officer to raise a report on the Environmental Impact Assessment - inculuding fuel consumption and clean up charges - of the closure of geographically local sites to entire districts of the W.Oxfordshire area (err you are still a councillor aren't you??).

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 30 Mar 2011, 19:30

Thanks Glena. I believe a compromise should be - switching lights off in the middle of the night, and then Dean Pitt could be saved, with the money they?ve saved. I can't understand the logistics at all, with all OCC's northern pits being closed - the demands on Kidlington are going to be huge. I can imagine chaos. In Australia, unwanted furniture is left on the side of the road. It soon disappears. I do hope that there's a bit more support to stop this closure. Recently folks have just showed what can be done -ref Library and Charlbury events.
Bring back Steptoe and son style, rag and bone man ? with a horse and cart, that?s what I say. Apparently, there?s good profit to be made!

John Munro
👍

Wed 30 Mar 2011, 18:39

Notwithstanding the pros and cons of the proposals, between Sept this year and April next year we wouldn't have Dean (closed) or Kidlington (not yet open), so where would we go during that period?

glena chadwick
👍

Wed 30 Mar 2011, 18:27

My views are (and always have been) that it's very sad. I think to have to drive to Kidlington for the things we can't recycle on the doorstep, is unfortunate and not carbon friendly. I know the range of things that can go in the roadside boxes is increasing (Tetrapacks in April for example)but there are still objects that one takes to Dean.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 30 Mar 2011, 17:51

Here's the link,

https://myconsultations.oxfordshire.gov.uk/consult.ti/Recycling/consultationHome

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 30 Mar 2011, 13:32

Hi Glena, what are your views about the closure of Dean Pitt?

glena chadwick
👍

Wed 30 Mar 2011, 12:48

Might be too late but it's worth a try. There is a consulation period (ending April 4th) about the reorganisation of Oxfordshire County Council's Waste recycling sites (i.e. tips). They propose to close Dean Pit which has been threatened (and fought off) for ages but now is looking likely to shut in Sept. 2011. If you go to the OCC website and then to Waste and recycling you will find a link to the consulation document which outlines the whole plan (very inconvenient for Charlbury) and a link to a form where you can make your views known.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.