Gold stars for the gas engineers in Enstone Road

Jean Adams
👍

Sat 19 Mar 2011, 14:47

I may be mistaken, but I believe I read, some time ago that the material used on French roads was being considered. Though possibly not before Enstone Road is finished ! Jean Adams

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 19 Mar 2011, 00:01

May I suggest that they use tarmacadam formulated to withstand freezing temperatures better? Global warming means, perversely, that the North Atlantic Oscillation will occur more often and reach further south so we can expect much more common incidences of prolonged subzero temperatures. Northern states and provinces in Canada and US have roads that do not fall apart with every freeze (and they have to contend with regular summer temperatures that are outliers here although that may also change as summer and winter weather gets more extreme) so could the councillors raise some pointed questions over what they are going to tarmac the road with for longest life given climate change possibilities/contingencies?

mandy
👍

Fri 18 Mar 2011, 18:52

And it will all start again in may when they close the enstone road to re surface it for 3 weeks.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 18 Mar 2011, 17:57

Sorry Richard, Charlbury has its 'through traffic' all right. Of course the Slade/Nine Acres route has been unaffected, but the Dancers Hill/Pooles Lane/Market Street rat run has been as bad as ever, and a little bit worse because of the extra traffic going to the car park.

I don't think people realise just how many drivers use this way of getting from the Slade through to Dyers Hill and/or Thames Street and beyond: of course it's only quicker if you drive fast, and it only works one way, so we get more than our fair share of speed merchants. Anyone who can devise a restriction that would put paid to it should win a prize.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 18 Mar 2011, 12:25

I've been pleasantly surprised at how well Charlbury survives without through traffic. We should try it more often...

Grahame Ockleston
👍

Fri 18 Mar 2011, 11:48

I do agree.
But
Will they repair the kerb on the bend opposite Nine Acres Close ??

glena chadwick
👍

Fri 18 Mar 2011, 11:43

Completely agree----very nice men, very polite and working extremely hard.

Dave Sangwine
👍

Thu 17 Mar 2011, 16:18

Obviously there's major disruption in Enstone Road at the moment (17th March). But to their credit, the workmen are here early, they work late and are very polite. They have kept the residents fully informed as to when gas is going off and when it's being reconnected. I have even seen one of them helping a neighbour with her shopping when she parked away from her house. Credit where credit is due. Replacing a gas main is hard enough, but I for one am more than happy with what they're doing and how they're doing it. Well done the gas engineers!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.