OCC Budget Meeting 15th Feb -- what happened?

Kat Patrick
👍

Sun 20 Feb 2011, 17:06

Jon, you're right that I wasn't responding to Councillor Mitchell's words in the article mentioned above, but after clicking through other articles that are linked onto that page, I started getting more and more disheartened by the attitude Councillor Mitchell seems to take on this issue. For example, his quip: "What's better, no library at all or a library that continues and is supported by the community and is run at least partly by volunteers?", and the other one which was basically, if not the libraries, then what do you suggest we cut instead? (There have been suggestions from Iffley Road residents that their road improvements can wait, if the council is looking for some cost-cutting measures that would save libraries in the short term).

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 17 Feb 2011, 15:55

There should now be a consultation on the future of the County's libraries. As we were given 2 different periods for this, I emailed Judith Heathcoat in January and was told she didn't know! Have just looked at the OCC website and nothing there yet. Cllr Neil Owen voted for the cuts. The Friends of Charlbury Library have joined the Save oxfordshire's libraries group. We are meeting on Sunday and look to be agreeing a view that no library should close but hours be reduced in all with communities making up the hours if they wish. The decision making process is so flawed they cannot be allowed to proceed with the present proposal but all that will be aired at the Public Meeting on 25 March.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 17 Feb 2011, 11:04

I think you mis-read the BBC report, Kat. See also the OCC press release, which reads in part:

... The detail of how the now approved level of financial savings are actually delivered could yet change across a whole range of services. This includes libraries where a consultation is due to begin later in February and final decisions on service levels are not due to be taken until after that consultation is complete in the Summer.

Councillor Mitchell said: "Today's meeting has agreed our financial framework. As the year goes on some of the detail in our current planning for the actual delivery of these cuts will change as we hear back from consultations. We need to keep an open mind on the final redesign of services within available resources."

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 17 Feb 2011, 09:06

consultation on how they apply cuts to libraries to taker place before anything is implemented.

Surely better to retain part-time at all libraries than some closed altogether?

Kat Patrick
👍

Wed 16 Feb 2011, 22:39

Just what I was afraid of ... a fait accompli.

Alex Westbury
👍

Wed 16 Feb 2011, 22:23

Hope this sheds some light bbc.in/fqem1T

Kat Patrick
👍

Wed 16 Feb 2011, 19:37

Anyone know what happened at the OCC meeting yesterday? I think it's a shame they should be going ahead with decisions on things like libraries before everyone has been fully consulted.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.