The Rally Show at Cornbury Park 14th and 15th May 2011.

Cally Robson
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2011, 21:34

Hi Malcolm, you're talking about the completely separate Benjafield sprint up the main drive. www.benjafieldsracingclub.co.uk

It hasn't happened for a couple of years, but it was an amazing sight for the years we used to sneak a peek at it. People used to come to the North Lodge gate to see the beautiful vintage racing cars coming and going (and I'm not even a car person!)

We'd hoped to see the race here again this year. But I don't think it's on the cards.

Probably just as well - for any voluntary group holding an event at the Park now, the conditions placed because of the license and Safety Advisory Group will be terribly onerous. We're already hearing that the Rally Show organisers are being put through their paces - on noise levels and all aspects. It makes it less likely Cornbury will get events of any sort. A real shame for most of us.

glena chadwick
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2011, 21:18

In the 80s and/or 90s there was a private motoring event each year in Cornbury. It was a club (I can't remember the name) run (or partly run) by someone (now dead) who lived up the Spelsbury Road. It was for owners of vintage Bentleys and they did indeed drive up and the down the main drive from the lodge to the stables. When the church restoration was happening they always used to have a collection at this event for the church.

Cally Robson
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2011, 21:09

I hadn't come across Shane J before. But agree, he's very funny. Loved the bit with the sheep herding (not Cornbury) and his comments on the Top Gear UK team's efforts.

Top tip for next time - head for the local pubs to meet celebs after events at Cornbury. The Rotherwicks always refer organisers to the Charlbury hostelries for accommodation and hospitality. Both the Bull and Bell are already fully booked out by the rally organisers for that weekend in May ;)

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2011, 21:04

There is, or used to be, a private get together of vintage sports and racing cars doing a "drag" up the road from the gate. Is that event still occurring, or is this one replacing that club event? Are they completely separate? I never heard any engines from our place on the north eastern edge of town.

Richard Butler
👍

Wed 2 Feb 2011, 14:31

Thanks Cally, I caught part of top gear this weekend but not all (kids) but slightly off note being a fan of "Shane Jacobson" I wasn't aware he was a co-host for the Australia Top Gear, and now the fact that he was just up the road in Charlbury! (tut)!

He made a mockumentary some years back called "Kenny" which I brought on DVD and thought was very funny, not everyones cup-a-tea but I really enjoyed it, Especially considering the modest budget of the film its honest look and its DIY nature enrolling his family to help create it, thanks for the info, Don't tell me you meet him ?

Cally Robson
👍

Tue 1 Feb 2011, 21:03

Talking of rally driving, did anyone see this week's Top Gear filmed at Cornbury Park last summer?

Our daughter is a real fan of the "little one" (not the "curly one"), so we'd wanted to watch them filming. But ended up missing most of it as we couldn't hear a thing even down at the North Lodge gate. Even though they went round and round the track for several hours to get some of those clever shots.

If you get to iPlayer quick, you can see how the Brits won the automotive ashes (Cornbury features near the end) www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yb5jr/Top_Gear_Series_16_Episode_2/

Best, Cally

Alan Sinclair
👍

Tue 1 Feb 2011, 18:09

Firstly: Thank you for answering my question Lady Rotherwick.

Secondly: Did you not read my post John? As I seem to have asked ?can any of the local organisations who where invited to Cornbury Music Festival (now at Great Tew) tell us if they have been invited to run a stall to raise money at this new event?? not that it was 'Breaking News' or where the event had previously mentioned.

John Munro
👍

Mon 31 Jan 2011, 18:52

Alan
I don't really wish to inflame things too much here, but I have to disagree with your comment 'So it has started...' as the Car Rally is hardly 'Breaking News'.
It has been mentioned quite a number of times on the Forum and there are also many other places where details have been available, such as:-
The Cornbury Estate website ? (since before November I think)
The Rally Show website ? (since October I believe, with links from the Cornbury website)
The Cornbury Newsletter ? Winter Edition ? also posted online on the Charlbury website in early December
The minutes of the licencing panel hearing, where the proposed events for 2011 were listed
I believe certain members of Charlbury Town Council also attended the Safety Advisory Group Meeting last week and were satisfied with the detail that was gone into.
Additionally, Lady Rotherwick is remaining good to her word about the number of music events ? they still only hope to run the single music event - The Wilderness Festival.

Tania Rotherwick
👍

Mon 31 Jan 2011, 09:15

Malcolm Neill, the Rally Show organiser, is delighted to offer a local group a fund raising opportunity at the show and to this end I have put him in touch with Clive Brooks of the football club to come up with a suitable scheme.

Malcomn met with the Safety Advisory Group last week to go through plans for the show to ensure that all noise limits are satisfied and traffic control is optimised.

Alan Sinclair
👍

Sun 30 Jan 2011, 22:54

So it has started........can any of the local organisations who where invited to Cornbury Music Festival (now at Great Tew) tell us if they have been invited to run a stall to raise money at this new event?????

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.