Charlbury Christmas Trees

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sat 18 Dec 2010, 10:56

Malcolm, I am assured that if Toronto has an unexpected snowfall it can't cope.
The city budgets for a certain level of snow and beyond that it has problems, which is what has happened here - ie we have more snow than is generally expects, so the council doesn't budget for it. I am also told that the last time the city had a snowfall which lay on the ground over 1 week the city didn't clear the pavements.
Sweden also does the same thing.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 23:15

You're right, Sue, and I certainly don't want to be associated with Malcolm's personal comments (I know several people in Church Street, and I don't recognise them in Malcolm's caricature).

We've tried each year to encourage more people to take part, and some will have their own reasons for not doing so, not least the fact that they don't want to deface their houses with a bracket for the other 11 months of the year! I'm pleased to say we did 'score' at least one new tree in Church Street this year, even so, and if the whole thing has a slightly disorganised look to it, for many that is part of the attraction. And if some people want to feel competitive about their street's showing, all well and good.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 22:46

Hey guys lighten up a bit pun not intended - On a practical note my wife has bought a pair of spiked snow treads to put on her shoes so she can negotiate the way to the station. Perhaps we could get a local supply of these for purchase?

To a Canadian it is simply incomprehensible why gritting does not occur nor why there is no legal charge on the owner of property adjoining a "sidewalk" to have that cleared. Disability and age are of course taken into account but it was a good pocket money earner for us poor working class kids doing all the sidewalks around the area that were not otherwise done. Living in the "Erie Snowbelt" meant annual cumulative totals of up to 20 feet of snow some times.

Last year the government made quite clear in the Commons that there would be no liability to anyone who had cleared their pavement seeing as there was so much misinformation around and that should put precedence into the legal discussion of this contentious belief.

WODC ia being remiss. Does the Parish council have a "penny rate" power they can levy like the old London boroughs which could go some way to sorting ourselves out seeing how treacherous the hills make the pavements and effectively trap indoors the disabled and elderly for days if not weeks on end.

Alison Cherry
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 19:16

John, where are are bins going to be sited? - we need one up my way and who is going to use the spreaders?

john h
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 16:20

It has been decided to look into buying more salt bins an 3 spreaders to hopfully help with the slippery conditions,this initiative has been taken by the Town Council independantly from the County Council.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 13:38

Come on guys where is your Christmas spirit ?
Its not law that you must have a tree, it's nice that people do go to the trouble and expense to put a tree up, its great that Jon and his team organise it each year so a big thankyou to you all for that.
Its a great sight to see the trees lit up in the dark especially when you are all doing some late night shopping which happens to be tonight come to think of it!
So come on down and get the full benefit of the trees lit up lets have more of the Ho Ho Ho and less of the No No No

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 12:53

Perhaps Malcolm's bankers could be encouraged to put their hands into their capacious pockets and produce some cash that could be used to employ someone to grit the pavements of Charlbury over the winter? It's not much point having the town all gaily lit up if one can't admire the lights without the strong likelihood of slipping on ice whilst doing so and breaking one's hip in consequence.

Note that I have made strong representations to both the Town and County Councils in recent weeks re. gritting of the pavement along Dyers Hill leading down to the station and have been informed in no uncertain terms that it is very unlikely that this important route will be gritted at all this winter. A disgrace!

Grahame Ockleston
👍

Thu 16 Dec 2010, 08:45

In response to Susan's comments

''quite''

Susan Way
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2010, 23:36

Why be so mean spirited about people in Church Street? You have no idea what they do or don't do for a living and in any case it isn't compulsory to put up a tree. If this goes on in this vein you and Jon will put off anyone else from wanting to participate.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 15 Dec 2010, 22:14

I can't imagine any of the bankers investor and dealers living in Church St to be short of a bob or two given their bonuses which carry on escalating irrespective of the banks' collective rip off of the taxpayer (ducks)

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 12 Dec 2010, 16:31

About 93 trees were supplied this year through the Business Community scheme, and several latecomers bought their own, so there must be about 100 up in all. Probably a record. So that's despite the recession. Church Street has always let the side down: it's nothing new!

John Munro
👍

Fri 10 Dec 2010, 07:10

Mustn't forget Dyers Hill which also looks very festive as you come up or go down to the station.

John Munro
👍

Thu 9 Dec 2010, 22:10

Yes, that is true, but on that basis wouldn't there be less numbers of trees in the Thames Street and Market Street as well - and this evening those two roads looked as lit up as in previous years.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 9 Dec 2010, 21:35

Be fair, there is a recession on!

John Munro
👍

Thu 9 Dec 2010, 20:52

Well, Thames Street and Market Street look great with all their Christmas Tree lit up and making the twon look festive - but what has happened in Church Street this year - looks decidedly devoted of trees and lights! Yes, admittedly, there are some (and thanks to those who have yet again gone to the trouble), but surely there have been greater numbers of trees in previous years?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.