Solicitors for a Power of Attorney

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Tue 23 Jul, 11:03

Thank you, Liz. I had wondered about contacting Geoff. Was hoping for feedback from someone who had used him for this kind of thing. Your response very helpful. 

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Tue 23 Jul, 09:28

Hi Christine, we're about to do the very same (Power of Attorney) with a Chippy solicitor who you also know Geoff Saul. For anyone else looking for an excellent local lawyer (and pillar of the community!) we highly recommend Geoff's services.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 22 Jul, 14:02

Thank you, Hannen and others.

But I am still wanting advice about local solicitors who do LPAs please. Hannen sent me useful advice by email about the (high) charges listed by Woodstock Solicitors, but at least they list their charges. Most local solicitors do not! 

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Mon 22 Jul, 12:48

I agree with all the posts here, and I am a retired solicitor!

Imo, most solicitors charge way over the odds for these.  The government website was designed to be layman friendly.  Once you've completed one it cleverly pre-populates the other with all the names and addresses, which saves a lot of time and eliminates the possibility of inaccuracies.

Simon is right about getting them signed and dated in the right order.  I used to get round that with people (who lived relatively locally) all signing and dating on the same day.  Never had a problem, and must have done close on 50.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 22 Jul, 12:24

Still looking for suggestions for solicitors for this please.

I can see that the government forms could be completely adequate in many circumstances, but I need advice. I also want to have legal backup for those I appoint as attorneys. 

Simon Walker
👍 2

Mon 22 Jul, 12:12

The one thing to make sure of when using the government system is that everything on the forms is signed and dated in the correct sequence.  One thing out of the stipulated order and your application will be rejected.  Re-application involves another fee, so as Sandy says, you need someone who can double-check everything is done correctly before you send it off.

Sandy Fairhurst
👍 3

Mon 22 Jul, 11:30

Endorse Georgia’s message, it’s easy to do…like many forms good to have an eagle eyed friend just look over it for you, but doesn’t require a solicitor.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 22 Jul, 11:27

Thank you, Georgia. I've looked at the government website, and think I need a solicitor to give me advice! 

Georgia Styring
👍 3

Mon 22 Jul, 11:23

You can now create a Lasting Power of Attorney for health and finance (separate ones) through the Government Website:

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

I recently created both for my parents on advice from a nice lady at their bank. It's very easy to do and it's a fraction of the cost at about £82 for each. You need a Certificate Provider (someone who has known you for 2 years) and a witness, but that's as complicated as it got. Then you send it off to the office of the Public Guardian who check and register it. Highly recommend.

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 22 Jul, 11:19

Has anyone used Woodstock Solicitors to draw up a Lasting Power of Attorney?

They have good reviews online, have a very clear price list, and belong to the appropriate professional body. But has anyone in Charlbury had experience of using them for this type of thing? 

Other recommendations (or warnings!) gratefully received, also with regard to revising my will. I'm currently with some solicitors in Witney, but have not a huge amount of confidence in them for a LPA. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.