WODC nul points re Blenheim Summit info

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Fri 19 Jul, 21:20 (last edited on Fri 19 Jul, 21:21)

So in the end I drove to Yarnton as blood donor session appointments often run late (as this one did). I dont think that President Zelensky will be any the wiser as my pint is unlikely to be sent to Ukraine. 

Alan Cobb
👍 2

Fri 19 Jul, 10:29

As has been recommended on this forum a number of times, the best place to go for information on roadworks is https://one.network/uk/oxfordshire (defaults to today, best usually to select the 2 week option) where planned roadworks/closures are displayed.

Helen Holwill
👍

Fri 19 Jul, 09:09

Presumably for a high profile event like that that may attract unwanted and potentially dangerous attention they would deliberately be cagey about the road closure details, etc? Or am I giving them too much credit?

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Fri 19 Jul, 08:04

Sorry for the late evening sarcasm, after a long and tedious rail journey which proved that it isn't just our line that has problems.   Yes, the roads are back to normal today

Claire Wilding
👍

Thu 18 Jul, 23:12

Just use google. It knows everything. 

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 18 Jul, 22:27 (last edited on Thu 18 Jul, 22:31)

Liz, Thanks for your response, I hopefully won’t be inconvenienced as my blood donor appointment is tomorrow afternoon, by which time all will be over.

Liz Leffman
👍 13

Thu 18 Jul, 22:21 (last edited on Thu 18 Jul, 22:27)

I am sorry that you were inconvenienced, Philip.  I am sure President Zelensky would feel for you if he knew.

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Thu 18 Jul, 21:56 (last edited on Thu 18 Jul, 22:04)

Gareth - Agreed they don’t, but why put up a totally useless link to gov.uk rather than something that might reassure Woodstock businesses and their potential customers re access and parking?

Liz (Leffman) That pre-supposes travel on a regular basis into Oxford and anyway the signs don’t say very much! 

Liz (Puttick) I was not being critical of the summit, on the contrary I welcome it, but the communications associated with it have been poor.

A more positive response would be to test the website, agree that it imparts little or no useful information for local residents and take it as a lesson learned for a future occasion.

Not quite sure how the S3 bus going past the Ditchley Gate hourly constitutes a security threat to those in the Palace?

Liz Puttick
👍 9

Thu 18 Jul, 21:52

It seems to me that the European Summit is exactly the kind of event Blenheim Palace should be hosting, rather than the usual corporate entertainments. Surely it's worth some minor inconvenience (3 minutes on journey time for a day) to ensure the security of our King, our new Prime Minister and assorted European dignitaries including President Zelensky.

Liz Leffman
👍 5

Thu 18 Jul, 20:41 (last edited on Thu 18 Jul, 20:43)

These road closures are dictated by the police and security services. There have been numerous huge signs up around Blenheim, Woodstock, on the road to Charlbury and on the A44 for the past fortnight! 

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Thu 18 Jul, 19:44

WODC has no responsibility for highways or traffic.

Philip Ambrose
👍 1

Thu 18 Jul, 19:33

Thanks Claire.

Claire Wilding
👍

Thu 18 Jul, 19:21

The closure finishes 4am  tomorrow morning so you should be fine. 

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 18 Jul, 19:05

I looked on the WODC website this morning to check road closures etc as I have a blood donor appointment at Yarnton tomorrow. Could I find anything useful ? NO! Just a useless link to Gov.uk pontificating about the importance of the gathering.

Have I missed something? If not, please step up to the plate WODC / OCC with practical help and info for your customers / council tax payers, the people who pay your salaries. 

If anyone has any links to useful local info re disruptions, diversions etc that would be appreciated. Thanks. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.