Recording of the Brian Hodgson memorial lecture tonight?

Christine Battersby
👍 5

Sat 13 Jul, 10:27

Although people no longer seem to ask permission to record lectures and public events, they should do so! But I long ago gave up trying to stop people recording and then pirating talks that I give, along with any slides and also my research. It's very annoying, especially when I find it re-used without any credit, often word for word.

It's even more of a problem now that Chat GPT and similar LLMs take over and re-use any recorded language data without regard to copyright rules. 

Last night's lecture and extensive Q&A session was very enjoyable and interesting, also quite controversial at times. I spotted no recording devices or mobile phones, and suspect the sound wouldn't have been good enough to record the Q&A part of the event.

Parking -- including disabled parking -- was easy, and the chairs in Chippy Town Hall are not too bad. Maybe try and come next year, Malcolm. Charlbury Labour Party is now part of the Chipping Norton Branch of the Labour Party. Not all of their meetings have good disabled access, but this one did.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 3

Fri 12 Jul, 14:21

Will someone be able to record the sound (and possibly audio and visual?) of Jack Straw's lecture tonight? Are there any plans?

I'm sure a number of people who knew Brian well would be interested in hearing what JS says (and at such a momentous time of only the 4th Government of 19th-21st Century history). I'd really like to hear the content.  

And I can't be the only person who'd like to hear, as well. Although I very much doubt myself, personally, will be well enough to spend such a long time sitting in a Town Hall chair of "general issue" public hall furniture fare - and posh SUVs took up all the disabled spaces in the past experiences in Chippy - be sure myself and other "rather-a-bit-stuck-indoors" persons have enough neurones still rubbing together to maintain an active curiosity.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.