Mill Field meadow flower area

Rod Evans
👍 3

Fri 28 Jun, 17:52 (last edited on Fri 28 Jun, 21:27)

Talking of grass snakes, a few years ago when my 90+ year old aunt was visiting, she came in from the garden and said 'there's a snake in your kitchen'.  Blimey I thought, the old girl's really lost it this time...  but sure enough, there it was.  Promptly returned to the garden which as some will know, is not a million miles from the Mill Field.

I don't know what happened to the snake but my aunt is still going strong at 97 and soon to take what must be her second or third 'final' flight across the Atlantic...  A pity we can't get a bridge over the mill stream into the field.

Oh and while I'm here, perhaps the person whose lovely doggie left a present outside my front door today could let me know where they live so I can return it.

PS  3 hours later and someone's picked up the 'present'.  So very Charlbury - thank you!

Frances Mortimer
👍 5

Thu 27 Jun, 21:03

It's lovely, isn't it? And wonderful to hear about the grass snake. We're hoping to improve the number of meadow wildflowers on that far area over the next couple of years, by sowing more seed from some ancient water meadows not too far away. If it's a success we'd like to extend further in future, definitely! We are a bit limited by the fairly narrow access which makes it difficult to get farm machinery like balers and large trailers onto the field, which would be needed to manage a larger area as a hay meadow. So we will have to work out a plan for that, and work around Riverside of course.

Suzy M-H
👍 5

Thu 27 Jun, 18:28

It's been a joy to see clover, cow parsley and lots of grasses growing at the far end of the Mill Field this year. Today I saw a grass snake there for the first time. Are there plans to extend the meadow area to encourage even more wildlife?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.