Where'll you be when the 2024 Portillo result's announced?

stephen cavell
👍

Thu 27 Jun, 08:04

'Today' on Radio 4. Did anyone spot the transition from 'last nights debate' and the 'sound of the Puffins' this morning?

Matthew Greenfield
👍 3

Wed 26 Jun, 22:27

I found this graph for election night quite helpful:

Michael Flanagan
👍 1

Wed 26 Jun, 16:30

This would be my Portillo moment if it came off. 

Today's Economist now has an MRP showing Liz Truss will lose Norfolk South West. Which, from a purely numerical point of view would be the most mind-boggling of all.

And the Press Association believes that declaration will be at 5.30 am on Friday. So I might try getting a decent night's sleep and taking Mrs F an early cuppa if the Economist proves right.  .

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 26 Jun, 11:58

Hey Michael, Charlie did stay up to watch the Engerland match last night.

Michael Flanagan
👍 1

Wed 26 Jun, 11:17

Not remotely "sad" in my eyes. Possibly sad in the conventional sense the following day if you react as badly as me to missing a full night's kip. 

Charlie M
👍 3

Wed 26 Jun, 11:07

I always stay up all night on election night. It is pure adrenaline for me!

If that makes me "sad" in your eyes, then each to their own! 

Michael Flanagan
👍 2

Wed 26 Jun, 10:38

The Press Association has now published the forecasts it's received from returning officers of when this year's election results will be announced. Astonishingly, they seem to think ALL 650 seats will declare before 7 am on Friday July 5 - though no doubt a couple of recounts will derail that confidence.

Round here, the assumption is that Witney will declare by 3.15, and Banbury and Woodstock/Bicester will declare by 5. There's a few likely Tory losses in the Northern Red Wall before 2 am - but the likeliest "Michael Portillo" moments will be the declarations for Jeremy Hunt (prob 3.30) , Alex Chalk (3.00) , Jacob Rees Mogg (4.30), Grant Shapps (4.30), Penny Mordaunt (3.30) - and Rishi Sunak (4 am, but I really think his current seat is one contest he actually will win). Oh yes: Farage is forecast for 4, and Corbyn for 3.

So by 7 am it looks like virtually all the seats will be declared. You could go to bed as normal, and wait till you're up before your morning gloat. 

Because there's bound to be at least one result so painful for someone you despise you'll get a really good dose of schadenfreude. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.