Cut'n'paste text misplacement over last few days??

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 8 Jun, 13:41 (last edited on Sat 8 Jun, 13:44)

Ah yes, on first a PDP 10/40 and then a PDP11 in the second year (early/mid 70s). 

>>> here is where I went to paste-in the url you just cc'd and pasted ...>

... and carried on with my electronic reminisces : Started out with Teletype output but fortunately green VDUs were put on by spring!

>>> then here is where the pasted link was actually put!!! Que??

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jun/06/englands-restrictive-rural-access-rules-cost-six-times-that-of-scotlands-figures-show

!!!!!    It's every time I try it. 

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍 1

Sat 8 Jun, 00:21

Working on MacOS I will try to place the link in your previous posting right here https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jun/06/englands-restrictive-rural-access-rules-cost-six-times-that-of-scotlands-figures-show and see what happens.

Looks okay to me.

Ever play lunar lander on a PDP-11?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 7 Jun, 19:24

Problem: On an Apple MacOS cut'n'place of internet URLs are constantly being misplaced to the end of a pasted text sequence or comment, whereas they were meant to be interlaced with, or before, the text.

I've, over now exactly 50 years(!) of Internet and email (pioneer, despite technical ability limitations - those guys were genii! - playing Dungeons and Dragons betwixt Sussex, MIT, Stanford, Heidelberg, Singapore and a few others - a very very useful technical proving methodology learning experience despite first impressions of triviality ... err as I was saying never seen anything like this weird displacement and refusal to paste text where the cursor "says". It's not just URLs it's been happening with edits.

Unusual but invariable. Is it "me" since MacOS online "upgrade" or vous?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.