General Election Candidates: Lots of choice (Debate)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 12

Thu 13 Jun, 10:18

I’ve edited out some comments from a previous posting. I realise this is the Debate section where by intention “anything goes”, and it is of course healthy that any and all candidates should be exposed to scrutiny. But I do have to keep a wary eye out for anything that could expose the site to legal issues, sorry.

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Wed 12 Jun, 20:58

Anyone with a genuine concern about what sort of MP Woodcock would be could do worse than contact the county councillor for his Banbury area and ask her why she left the Labour Party.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Wed 12 Jun, 16:56

TBH Gareth you need to vote for him, then if he gets in he won't be our housing officer any more, and we'll hopefully get a better one. 

Gareth Davies
👍 4

Wed 12 Jun, 13:54 (last edited on Thu 13 Jun, 10:18)

Lots of choice but I only see one real candidate. 

Certainly will not be voting Labour when the candidate believes disabilities are life style choices and [edited]

He is a housing officer and his actions helped to [edited]

Apparently he understands the needs of social housing which is funny considering just how quick he was to try and have us evicted for absolutely no reason what so ever. 

He is far more right wing Conservative minded for my liking. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 8

Wed 12 Jun, 11:54

“If they come canvassing to my home I will put on my homemade EU beret and threaten them with my stick.”

This is the most Charlbury thing ever. Magnificently so. 

Charlie M
👍 3

Wed 12 Jun, 10:36

Michael, I was just making a silly play on their names ... TOPley versus BOTTOMley,

Personally I would not vote for either of them! 

Michael Flanagan
👍

Wed 12 Jun, 08:13

Charlie M: What am I missing here?

Victoria Bottomley is about as perfect an example as you can get of what the Tory party used to be: the daughter of a Jarrow hunger marcher mum and a dad who directed what was then called the Industrial Society, her first job after Essex University and the LSE was at the Child Poverty Action Group. She went on to become related to most of the British establishment (including, locally, the Labour candidate for Woodstock and near-neighbour Lord Jay), and to epitomise Ken Clarke-style Tory centrism.

Just about everything the Reform party hates most, in other words. Why on earth would someone like her volunteer to stand for them? Is my Google not picking up on something?

Valerie Stewart
👍 10

Wed 12 Jun, 00:00

I heard someone describe the Tory manifesto - designed as a low-risk attempt to appeal to their base - as a charter for a retirement home with nuclear strike capability. 

If they come canvassing to my home I will put on my homemade EU beret and threaten them with my stick.   

Charlie M
👍 2

Tue 11 Jun, 23:20

Someone has to say it ... No smoke without fire then?
Rather than Mister Topley, and considering where one might wish for them to come in the election, I might have hoped that they would choose Virginia Bottomley?

Good night all! x

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 11 Jun, 18:42 (last edited on Tue 11 Jun, 18:43)

Reform UK have at last published the bio of the candidate for the Banbury constituency, and it is indeed the Paul Nicholas Topley who lives in Winchester -- although the fact that he is not local to the Banbury area (or even Oxfordshire) is not mentioned. His bio is here: https://www.reformparty.uk/banbury-constituency

Paul Topley's account of his career as a successful businessman mentions one fire protection servicing business which still operates, and which he sold on when he resigned, but it seems a rather selective account of his business activities, given the multiple fire protection companies (all registered at the same address) which were dissolved en route to what he claims as his national success. (See the gov.uk link in my earlier post.)

It will be interesting to see if Mr Topley turns up to the Charlbury hustings and, if so, how he presents himself there.

Christine Battersby
👍 10

Sat 8 Jun, 10:43 (last edited on Sat 8 Jun, 10:47)

Yes, lots of choice for Banbury, but we are still waiting for more details on some of the candidates whose names were put forward at the very last minute. Not sure whether their backgrounds have been properly checked.

Reform UK lists Mr Paul Nicholas Topley as its candidate for Banbury. 

Can it possibly be the same Paul Nicholas Topley who is based in Winchester and who has been in the past the director of multiple fire security companies all registered at the same address, most of which have been dissolved? Details here: 

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/COfIXKQ2REnXItbDWohGJaWCV6Q/appointments

If so, his new company is Ottershoot Ltd which seems to be a groundwork contractor, also in Winchester, but at a different address. It is not listed on that gov.uk page, but is listed elsewhere on gov.uk.

Not a very reassuring CV if this is indeed the Reform UK candidate!

Michael Flanagan
👍 4

Fri 7 Jun, 18:51

We've had a few last minute changes in the list of runners in our new Banbury constituency. The final list now is:

• Liz Adams: Lib Dem
  • Arron Baker: Green
  • Cassi Bellingham: Independent 
  • Chris Neville: Climate Party
  • Victoria Prentiss: Tory
  • Declan Soper: SDP
  • Paul Topley: Reform
  • Sean Woodcock: Labour

Witney's even had its Labour candidate stand down and get replaced. So its candidates are:

• Robert Courts: Tory
  • David Cox: Heritage party
  • Barry Ingleton: Independent
  • Richard Langridge: Reform
  • Charlie Maynard: Lib Dem
  • Andrew Prosser: Green
  • Antonio Weiss: Labour

Of course some followers of this site are now in Bicester & Woodstock, where the candidates are: 

• Tim Funnell: SDP
  • Rupert Harrison: Tory
  • Iain Middleton: Green
  • Calum Miller: Lib Dem
  • Veronica Oakeshott: Labour
  • Augustine Obodo: Reform

I'd bet there are going to be a remarkable number of lost deposits.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.