Bull inn (Debate)

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Mon 3 Jun, 13:09

Businesscompanion.info says: 

"If customers are not informed about prices prior to placing an order, they may have the right to refuse to accept and pay for drinks - for example, if the price charged is excessively more than the customer would reasonably expect to have to pay."

They also give a link to a website which gives the full details of the lagalities: https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/good-practice/consumer-protection-from-unfair-trading

It looks as if Matt Bullock is right -- displaying a slightly lower price is not against the law, but the customer has the right to ask for the displayed price to be honoured and, if refused, back out of ordering the beer. 

Matt Bullock
👍 3

Mon 3 Jun, 09:39

As I'm now currently buying beer for Charlbury Beer Festival (29 June if you didn't know), I'm finding beer is around 9-12% more expensive than this time last year. So a price rise to the customer of less than 5% is not going to cover their increased costs.

I'm no lawyer, but isn't displaying a price an "invitation to treat", where goods on display mean the retailer is willing to enter into a bi-lateral contract with the consumer, and there’s no obligation for the retailer to sell the goods for that price, or at all?

Charlie M
👍 9

Mon 3 Jun, 08:27

Max, if you are very rich, then good luck to you. For myself, the very idea of paying over - say - £5.50 for a pint of beer verges on the obscene! And no, I do not go to London to drink beer! What triggered that was many years ago when I went to see one of my blues music heroes (Champion Jack Dupree, for those taking notes!) at Dingwalls and had to pay goodness knows what for a can of tasteless Shittz (?) lager. And the law is the law! 

Max Stephens
👍

Mon 3 Jun, 02:36

This is very sad behaviour, over 30p for a beer. Get a grip… much serious things going on in the world just be happy you have a pub in your village who’s serving drinks at such a fair price, London you’re be begging for a beer for 6.50. 

Charlie M
👍 8

Sun 2 Jun, 22:57

I quote:
Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, it is illegal to charge a higher price when a lower price is clearly displayed.

martin
👍 1

Sun 2 Jun, 21:12

Those first world problems just won’t go away…..

Ray Jones
👍 10

Sun 2 Jun, 20:54

Called in at the Bull earlier - ordered a pint priced at £6.20 on the board behind the bar - charged £6.50

When I questioned this, I was told it had gone up and they didn't change the board everyday ... It's a blackboard! It also hasn't been changed on their website!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this kind of thing was illegal, or are people allowed to make it up as they go along nowadays!

Caveat emptor, people.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.