Clarksons traffic jams.

Hannen Beith
👍 9

Wed 29 May, 23:00

"You use oriental to talk about things that come from places in eastern Asia." (Collins)

As a scion of two refugee families who sought shelter in this country, one of whom was from "the sub-continent", I find  the implied allegation of racism hurtful and crass.  The more so as this is not the voice of the Charlbury I've grown to appreciate and like.  People here have been very kind to me.  Even though I am from the sub-continent. 

Christopher Tatton
👍 3

Wed 29 May, 17:33

The Chippy to Witney buses were being badly delayed by the traffic jams outside Clarkson’s farm shop today, presumably  half term traffic. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Wed 29 May, 16:23

I've long suspected that people (or sheople?) when confronted the with the rapidly increasing vitacide of our planet, who do nothing but to usually act to make things worse in an acceleration of dismantlement are either (1) Ignorant (2) Mentally Sick and/or (3) Consciously Evil.

Where does Celebrity Worship and its associated sick assault upon sense and survival fit into this crude trifurcation? 

No wonder wannabe dictators ride so high in the last days of western democratic capitalism (while the planetary life support system of Planet Earth lasts).

nigel rosser
👍

Wed 29 May, 15:57

"Orientals?" At least they weren't from the West Indies or the sub-continent, eh? 

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Wed 29 May, 11:46

Alexander,  on the Sabbath?  Shame on you. ;-)

"Man cannot live by bread alone".  Even if it is Clarkson's....

Alexander Tomlins
👍 4

Wed 29 May, 11:11

If only there was a bus service on a Sunday.. 

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Wed 29 May, 09:43

I don't know why anyone would drive there, I suppose it depends on where you're coming from.  There is an X9 "Diddly Squat" bus stop bang outside.

I go to Chippy on the X9 about twice a week and am amazed at how many people get off there - mainly orientals (not being racist, just can't differentiate).  Seems a long way to go to visit a Farm Shop.

I must get off there soon to see what all the fuss is about.

Alice Brander
👍 3

Wed 29 May, 08:40

No problem here.  Just call the police next time you see people blocking the road.  Some people were arrested last night for the same offence.

Mark Sulik
👍 7

Tue 28 May, 20:46

Is the root problem that of planning and as a result of decisions made by WODC . Mr Clarkson , or Jeremy? and the farm is an obvious attraction, supporting the local and rural community and other farmers locally ? as demonstrated by the TV program and entertainment. Maybe not to everyone’s taste , ……. Some people like bitter and some people like larger - so accommodating local businesses should be reflected by the demand ? maybe ? 

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Tue 28 May, 14:18

Is the pilgrimage part the trials and tribulations of the journey there? I doubt it’s returning with a bag of spuds feeling spiritually refreshed …

No, but a photo of where your god has trodden, even if you don't manage to meet him,  is the prize for many!

Wendy Bailey
👍 6

Tue 28 May, 10:02 (last edited on Tue 28 May, 10:20)

I am only commenting not defending. Every issue has two sides, having been involved on Sunday with the traffic problems, any responsible driver knows not to park on a main road on a bend (361 Burford Road) you shouldn't need police to be there. And those parking on the Chadlington Road if they respected the countryside wouldn't have parked on the verge.I expect every tourist destination had ques to get parked. Not forgetting every time he is being spoken about it's free publicity ?  So perhaps if the public stop commenting his popularity might dwindle? I recently had friends from Suffolk on the coast to stay and was surprised to learn they wanted to visit Diddly Squat even if it wasn't open, they were a young family in their late 30's but clearly great fans.... 

Sandy Fairhurst
👍 8

Tue 28 May, 09:44

Is the pilgrimage part the trials and tribulations of the journey there? I doubt it’s returning with a bag of spuds feeling spiritually refreshed …

Liz Leffman
👍 5

Tue 28 May, 09:28 (last edited on Tue 28 May, 09:29)

Traffic management is the responsibility of the police, not the council.  

Parking is the council's responsibility and we have been working with Clarkson for several years now to try and find a satisfactory solution. We have managed to get him to open a car park and provide stewards but still the cars come and there are more than can be accommodated - a Chadlington parish councillor described it as a pilgrimage site, which is essentially what it is.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Mon 27 May, 21:35

‘Farmer’ Clarkson does whatever he wants to.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 28

Mon 27 May, 18:16

Jeremy Clarkson has a fortune of £56m whereas the County Council has children’s services and social care to support. Shouldn’t Clarkson fork out for the problem he created?

Stephen Bubb
👍 4

Mon 27 May, 16:44

planning on going for a coffee at Cafe De La post after a trip into Chippy we discovered a massive queue along the main road caused by cars trying to get up the lane to Clarkson’s shop. We gave up and turned back ( with difficulty)  The same thing happened last weekend when we were in Chippy and decided to go to Burford and found ourselves stuck in a traffic jam. This really isn’t acceptable. Time someone sorted out a traffic management here. What are the district Council and county Council going to do about this?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.