Thames Water fiasco (Debate)

Mark Luntley
👍 2

Sat 25 May, 13:49

If podcasts are your thing - there is a good 30 minute explainer by the New Statesman who have done an investigation into this - link below - or via most podcast apps. 

The episode explains how English water companies got to this situation, and in particular how our Oxfordshire rivers have become so polluted.

https://www.newstatesman.com/podcasts/2024/05/the-great-stink-how-england-came-to-swim-in-sewage 

Charlie M
👍 3

Wed 22 May, 00:02

Two ideas:

1) A mass refusal to pay. Or, at the very least, delaying tactics, such as demanding that they itemise your water bill. The fact that Thames Water do not have my permission to pollute our rivers does, I think, give a valid pretext.

2) As soon as we get a proper government, we need them to pass a law permitting us to choose who supplies our water, just as we can with our electricity. Then we can all leave Thames Water, who would go bankrupt and could then be re-nationalised. Once that has happened, we can get to work on the next "most deserving" water company. And so on.

Graham Wisker
👍 7

Tue 21 May, 20:44

Why the hell are we paying these greedy water companies our rates.  I see that Thames Water wants to increase our bills by 59% (According to the BBC),  we are currently subsidising their bonuses and dividends etc, and obviously they are NOT investing in the companies infrastructure.  I would like to start a campaign to stop this outrageous debacle. 😡🤬

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.