Strangers knocking on your door

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 22 May, 13:34

One of the regulars was actually quite aggressive to me in the past when I said that I was not interested. I did used to buy goods from them, but haven't done so after that incident. 

Best avoided, as Valerie says.

Emily Algar
👍

Wed 22 May, 11:59

I'm not saying the people who have been knocking on doors are these people below, but just some info.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/24336477.nottingham-knockers-salesmen-threaten-householders/

Andrew Greenfield
👍 1

Wed 22 May, 08:07

Sounds like one of the so-called Nottingham Knockers who are not usually known to cause any damage or to actuaĺy threaten anybody but just try to sell cheap, low quality household items such as dusters and brushes.

Often they show identity cards but they are not from any official organisation but simply home printed cards.

Just tell them you're not interested or going to buy anything and they'll normally leave.

Valerie Stewart
👍 2

Tue 21 May, 19:40

Almost certainly he's a regular (two or three times a year) sob-story merchant; he's called here several times.    He spins a yarn about being an injured ex-serviceman with no compensation for a damaged foot, and tries to sell some very overpriced household goods.   I fell for his chatter when he first presented, a few years ago, and so did my neighbour who has a soft spot for ex-servicemen, but he got uncomfortably pushy and we sent him away on the most recent occasions.   He called on my neighbour this morning, but we told him to go away. 

I don't think he's actively threatening, but he's much too persistent for comfort and probably best avoided.   

(From memory - I think one of his names is Barley).   

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 21 May, 14:27

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/police-forces/thames-valley-police/areas/advice/home-security-guide/

Rachel Brushfield
👍

Tue 21 May, 13:46

Just had someone knocking on our door from Yorkshire (Whitby specifically) with a badge around his neck (not sure what it was) asking for help. 

Didn't feel threatened by his energy, some of our community might, if vulnerable. 

What is the best thing to do - what resources to direct them to: The Church, Cornerstone, something else? Advice please.  

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.