Electric Scooters (Debate)

Steve Jones
👍 3

Mon 27 May, 17:55 (last edited on Mon 27 May, 18:01)

The only electric scooters allowed on the public highway (including the footway) are those that are part of an approved trial rental scheme. Not just that, you require a category Q entitlement on a driving licence (which comes with a category AM, A or B licence; that is moped, motorcycle or car licence, including provisionals). The requirement for a driving licence effectively makes it illegal for anybody below the age of 16 to ride an e-scooter on the public highway.

Otherwise they will be classified as motorcycles, and as none comply with the appropriate vehicle construction regulations for that class of vehicle, they will not be road legal either. Not just that, they will not be insured, registered or taxed. You can get fined and 6 points on a licence.

I think Michelle has fallen foul of some rather misleading wording by an organisation with a vested interest. yes, there is no legal limit to the riding of an electric scooter, but that is only on private land. On land open to the public, then there is that requirement to have a driving licence (and despite what the TVP says, provisional is fine) and it must be on an approved trial scheme. That also means the claim that the restrictions match that of the government trial scheme is also incorrect.

Michael Flanagan
👍 1

Thu 23 May, 06:45

The document a person needs in the United Kingdom to be allowed to drive anything  is a relevant driving licence.

There are countries where it's possible to get away with a driver's license.  But generally speaking, such a document merely demonstrates its holder has qualified to drive in a society with terrifyingly high levels of driving fatalities. 

Duncan John Sloan
👍

Wed 22 May, 23:29

I've had replies from a TVP officer about the e scooters. They said they'd increase their patrols. However, they were honest that it would be difficult to be there at the right time to confiscate the scooters. We all know they are stretched beyond their resources. 

Unfortunately, the parent's who provide their child with a big e-scooter and then say "be careful", might regret their last words.

Duncan John Sloan
👍 2

Wed 22 May, 23:12

The response to my original post has been really interesting. So has my response from Thames Valley Police. 

They have confirmed that it is illegal for anyone without a full driving license can't use one outside private land. 

My concern is that small children are using them in an area of high footfall of all ages. Also, a "hidden" access entry to the co-op/Spendlove park?

It's a life changing accident waiting to happen...

michele marietta
👍 1

Mon 20 May, 11:34

Christine that's pretty interesting that it's legal if they're the ones you can rent while in a city (Oxford does 'em), but illegal if yours is privately owned. Futher research on my part has also discovered that hoverboards are also illegal in public spaces.

You learn something new every day...

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Sat 18 May, 14:49

Beatniks?! Hah, hah ... back to the future of the 1950s. "Goths" more likely 70 years on.

Seriously though, Michele's linked page and also her 3 word summary about the legality of e-scooters are potentially misleading. Click further on the page that the link points to and you find the following:

"In the UK, the use of e-scooters on public roads, pavements, footpaths or cycle lanes is still illegal. The exception is use on private land to which the public has no access or the rental e-scooters schemes that have been approved as part of government-led trials in certain areas."

Glad the kids were helpful to Hannen, but their acts of kindness doesn't mean that scooters can legally be used on the roads or pavements of Charlbury. 

The Halford's website says: "it’s illegal to use [privately owned e-scooters] on pavements, in cycle lanes and in pedestrian-only areas, and it would only be legal to use them on public roads if they could meet the same requirements as motor vehicles (e.g., in terms of insurance, tax, licence, registration and vehicle construction), which in practice is virtually impossible."

The government is supposed to be consulting on making a change to the current laws regarding e-scooters and other low-speed, zero-emission vehicles, but has put off making any decisions until 2026 -- when they may no longer be in power, of course.

I find some of the bus stops in Oxford very hazardous in terms of needing to cross a pavement open to rented e-scooters and cycles in order to get to the bus. Especially alarming when  recovering from a recent broken hip as I am. The S3 bus stop in Summertown, and the S7 bus stop near Oxford Parkway are particularly hazardous ...

Hannen Beith
👍 7

Sat 18 May, 13:25

"Beatnik"?  Crumbs, that's a blast from the past!

I saw them as well.  Nice kids, and very accommodating to me on my invalid carriage.  They even helped me carry my groceries to my pannier.  More than a lot of customers at The Bull would do.

michele marietta
👍 1

Sat 18 May, 12:16

No legal age. 
https://support.pureelectric.com/hc/en-gb/articles/10394064561042-What-is-the-minimum-age-to-ride-an-adult-E-Scooter#:~:text=Whilst%20there%20is%20currently%20no,should%20ride%20an%20E%2DScooter

But dressing all in black isn’t good. Unless you’re a beatnik. 

Duncan John Sloan
👍 1

Thu 16 May, 09:33

Can the rich parents think about the risk to their own children and the effect it could have on innocent drivers if they squash one of their children? None on those children were wearing a helmet!

Duncan John Sloan
👍 1

Thu 16 May, 09:31

I went to the Co-op last night. Three children parked their big electric scooters outside. They were not old enough to hold a driver's license. A few weeks ago the same happened with children in hoodies and dressed entirely in black.

I think it's illegal for children to use electric scooters. Indeed, anyone without a driver's license.

I've reported it to the police but I guess it's like on their list.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.