Martin Dodds, Furniture Maker, Closing Down.

G Clarke
👍 2

Wed 1 May, 23:41

Sad news. I have a beautiful cherry dining/kitchen table made by Martin about 15 years ago - I sit at it daily and frequently admire it. Martin also made some lovely internal doors for me, to my unusual designs, about the same time. They have withstood extreme contrasting temperatures on each side but are in just as good shape as when he made them. Martin’s work has enriched my daily visual and physical environment.
Wishing Martin a peaceful and positive retirement.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 30 Apr, 18:41

Drat it Martin - your timing is awful!   >;-} Was just about to approach you to consider making up a Japanese style (sort of) bed platform at the end by the patio doors of our "new" big knocked-through living room, with a fold-up/fold-down sit-up support to read reclined upon, cupboards and drawers underneath, modest features. 

Find I just can't get comfortable on the sofa for either. And fed up when feeling unwell and only up to audiobooks or podcasts being stuck in the bedroom. 

Besides the Dogs want to snuggle up as well and the sofa isn't wide enough, and for the now quite venerable old boy it seems quite important to do so, especially when his legs seem all stiff and uncomfortable.

Unless such a design project intrigues you out of your approaching repose, would you have any suggestions of where to go to find help?

I find it rather depressing to think that, some years ago now, such a project would have been within my capacity ... but alas injuries and ill-health leave me looking for skilled help - who'd probably do a tidier job than me anyway, though!

Quite serious - with you retiring, where else for local quality makers? 

Birgit den Outer
👍 1

Tue 30 Apr, 12:09

Thank you, Martin! Like Phil, I have a beautiful elm table designed by you, which has been the focal piece of furniture in all the Charlbury houses I've lived in over the years. All good wishes to you. 

Phil Morgan
👍 5

Mon 29 Apr, 13:12

I have a dining table made to order from Martin in the 1980s. Solid English elm (the last of the wood available before the trees were wiped out by Dutch Elm Disease).

Still as solid as the day it was delivered. The scene for many family meals/celebrations.

Be assured that this table will be passed on as an heirloom and will probably be used as a gathering point for the sharing of food in the decades/centuries(?) to come.

Thank you Martin and all the best for the future.  Cheers, Phil. 

Rachel Brushfield
👍

Sun 28 Apr, 21:37

Martin - do you have a FaceBook page or web site? What is your e mail address so that people can contact you? 

Rachel Brushfield
👍 1

Sun 28 Apr, 21:34

Martin Dodds Furniture

Country tables, chairs and bookshelves of genuine quality and character. Handmade in oak, elm, cherry etc. Traditonal oak and pine doors, old and new. Exterior doors also available. Furniture restoration, repairs and stripping.

Address: Martin Dodds Workshops, Spelsbury Road, Charlbury, Oxon, OX7 3LP

Opening times: Visitors welcome Mon-Sat 9.30-6pm

Phone: 01608 810944

Martin Dodds
👍 10

Sun 28 Apr, 20:39

After 41years of making and repairing furniture at my workshop on the Spelsbury Road, I shall be closing down at the end of May.

Everything must go. I have furniture, internal and external doors, a quantity of hard and soft wood, tools, woodwork machinery, three vintage petrol lawn mowers and some classic garage equipment. Do drop by to have a look or just to say ‘Goodbye’. 

I hope to continue doing some furniture repairs from my home.

I would like to thank the many people who have supported my business over the decades.

Martin Dodds. Workshop: 01608 810944. Mob: 07990 232713

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.