Street Fair

John Munro
👍

Thu 23 Sep 2010, 10:30

Jon - which band where you watching/street fair were you at? 1000 Mile Highway did an excellent set, especially with the addition of the horn section. I could see quite a number of adults dancing away. Very similar set to the one they did at the beer festival and there was plenty of people dancing away on that occasion as well.

Edward Fenton
👍

Wed 22 Sep 2010, 09:28

I'm afraid I missed Every Hippie's Dream - but as for 1000 Mile Highway, they're a great band with some great musicians, and they had some amazing guest appearances last Saturday. True, danceability isn't the first thing you think of with Steve Earle and Johnny Cash numbers... But if KMH's hoedown-style fiddle and mandolin don't make you feel like dancing, then you never will - which in your case, Jon (as in mine), is probably no bad thing... ;)

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Sep 2010, 16:22

Sorry, David, I didn't know it was your band when I answered Rachael's question! There we go... can't know everything.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Sep 2010, 15:05

Don't know who John is, nor Rachel: can't see anyone of either name contributing to this thread.

However, Cate, I'm sure you'll agree that it's terribly British to stand in front of a band playing dance music in the open air and look aimlessly into the air in an embarrassed sort of way. So maybe it was all in the true British tradition.

And yes, it started well, then went grim. Either they hadn't had enough beer, or they'd had too much!

Maybe next year we should get a DTD group together (Determined to Dance) and insist on our human rights under the European Charter or whatever. The human right to have fun. Then it will be rained off, and what more British than that? Only the Brits can have fun under a brolly.

Kate Smith
👍

Tue 21 Sep 2010, 13:43

Should have been at the front John - some of us were doing our best! Though I agree once we'd got going it would have been good to keep going and not stand through the grim numbers; still the last one was good!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 21 Sep 2010, 10:22

Could have done with a better band to dance to in Church Street. Just when I hoped they'd sung every ballad of murder, misery and suicide they knew and would move up a gear, they packed up and went home. (Good band though.) Virtually no one over 8 danced at all. Is that what was meant to happen? Or should we have been somewhere else?

Dave Oates
👍

Tue 21 Sep 2010, 10:14

What did you think, Rachel?

Rachael Lunney
👍

Tue 21 Sep 2010, 07:01

what did people think of the bands this year at street fair?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.