Spot on!

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 15 Sep 2010, 16:31

Are you talking about the Unicorn Ian

Ian Taylor
👍

Wed 15 Sep 2010, 13:11

That should read "a couple of miles outside Chipping Norton", of course!

Ian Taylor
👍

Wed 15 Sep 2010, 13:10

The Norman Knight in Whichford, a couple of miles outside Whichford is worth a visit: www.thenormanknight.co.uk/

If the Fox is now the last pub, open or otherwise, in Leafield, I think it's WODC's policy to turn down change of use applications. Where I live the pub's been shut for 21 years and they turn down application after application. We live in hope of getting it back as a pub :)

mandy
👍

Wed 15 Sep 2010, 10:26

The plough in finstock is a must the fox in leafield is closed so is the blackhead in stonesfield. But there is a new Chinese opening in leafield soon where the navy oak use to be.Th royal oak at ramsden is very nice as well.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 15 Sep 2010, 09:42

On the subject of the Fox at Leafield, we received this message:

"Would you be interested in publicising the campaign to prevent the Fox public house in Leafield being turned into housing on the Charlbury website? We have our next meeting next Friday 17th September, 8pm Leafield Village Hall - all welcome. There will be a licensed bar and a raffle to raise much needed funds for our campaign. You can find out more at www.facebook.com/savethefox - you don't need a facebook account to access the page."

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 13 Sep 2010, 11:53

Our (Charlbury Cycling Group's) long-distance cycling route from Oxford to Worcester, currently under development, is mapped and described at www.cotswoldcycling.com - and made up almost entirely of lovely quiet roads.

Stonesfield Lane is cyclable on a hybrid bike, with care, in reasonable weather all the way to Stonesfield. (Anna used to cycle that way most days when she was teaching at Stonesfield.) The tree-covered section becomes a muddy quagmire in winter, though.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 9 Sep 2010, 20:02

Thanks everyone, and keep 'em coming! I'm specially interested in those I can walk or cycle to, but of course with early nights the options are much reduced for evening outings. Let's hope other people are inspired to explore too.

I'm also looking for quiet routes to some of these destinations, like the 'back road' from Enstone to Great Tew via Little Tew. And from driving experience I'd cycle to the Kingham - Bledington - Churchill area by taking the road past the Tite out of Chad and dropping into Churchill via Sarsden. For Burford there's a beautiful route via the forest road to Leafield, then through Fordwells, Swinbrook and Widford (the latter two both worth exploring) and on to Burford (don't miss the interesting little nursery on the left beyond Widford, if it's still there).

Does anyone else have their favourite quiet roads for cycling? The Oxfordshire Way from Stonesfield Lane is good till you are above Fawler: is it cyclable all the way to Stonesfield (and I'm NOT talking mountain bikes here!)? And more!?

John Munro
👍

Thu 9 Sep 2010, 12:22

Others definitely worth a visit are:-
The Maytime, Ashall Leigh, The Tollgate, Kingham, The Lamb at Crawley and The Swan at Minster Lovell
Royal Oak at Ramsden always worth the walk.
Yes, The Swan has closed - great shame after being refurbed.

brian
👍

Wed 8 Sep 2010, 20:17

Even further afield, but really worth visiting is The Carpenters Arms in Appleford - fantastic food, very well priced and a lovely atmosphere. Ideal too, if you don't drive - or don't want to drive, as you can reach Appleford easily by rail from Charlbury/Hanborough

John Dora
👍

Wed 8 Sep 2010, 19:33

Bit further away as is Bletchington is the Chequers at Churchill...

Susan Way
👍

Wed 8 Sep 2010, 17:38

The Fox at Leafield (the last pub?) has definitely closed.

A little further afield, the King's Head on the green at Bledington is run by the same people that run the Swan at Swinbrook and is also nice.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 8 Sep 2010, 16:24

The Plough in Finstock is easily our favourite pub outside Charlbury.

The Crawley Inn is an experience - it's a bikers' pub but very friendly and with excellent drinks (especially for us cider drinkers). Great place for a Saturday afternoon cycle ride, but probably not the sort of place you'd celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary. Unless you're a biker.

Slightly further afield: the Falkland Arms at Great Tew is excellent both for food, drink and atmosphere (though you might say it attracts a slightly 'Cotswoldy' crowd sometimes). We like the Royal Oak at Burford, too. The Crown at Church Enstone and the Swan at Swinbrook are both pleasant enough, restauranty pubs. Unfortunately, the closer you get to Oxford, the more the pernicious influence of Greene King is felt.

On the others you mention: the Black Head seems to have yo-yoed open and closed for a few years. Hadn't heard that about the Swan - great shame if so. I thought both the pubs in Leafield had closed now. We used to frequent the Tite very regularly but it's not been the same since (the late) Mike Willis left.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 8 Sep 2010, 15:00

Just occasionally it's nice to walk or cycle to a pub in a nearby village for good drinks and a bite to eat. I'm wondering where other people go?

The Plough in Finstock is great, and I assume the Royal Oak in Ramsden still is. I'd recommend the Crown in Enstone, but was a bit disappointed at the Tite in Chadlington (though I'd try it again, and it's a lovely walk across the fields).

In Stonesfield I've found a website for the Black Head which is a year out of date, and the phone number they give doesn't receive incoming calls and the pub is not in the Phone Book. Hmmm. The White Horse is open (I phoned them) but the landlord didn't make the food sound appetising: is it? I once read it was very good (and pricey).

The Swan in Ascott has closed, and there are serious problems with the only pub left in Leafield...

So where do you recommend?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.