Birds

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 7 Mar, 09:40

Yes, the Jackdaws are amazing here. When we first moved the flock was in the tree at the back of our house and I panicked that the noise was going to be constant. 

I now know that they do come occasionally for a day or two, then move on, and I now love them coming. 

Interestingly, Jackdaws tend to mate for life, so watch out for pairs within the group. 

Simon J Harley
👍 1

Thu 7 Mar, 08:03

Saw, and heard them again this morning. After listening to Jackdaws on YouTube to compare the sound, I think they are Jackdaws.  It looks like you can refer to them as a murmuration, but more aptly are known as a clattering. 

Andy Godfrey
👍

Thu 7 Mar, 05:47

Corvids fly up & down in a large flock as the sun rises, & also as it sets, before they roost.

Rod Evans
👍 2

Wed 6 Mar, 18:35 (last edited on Wed 6 Mar, 20:36)

I suspect more likely the jackdaws which roost here in large numbers.  A lot of wood pigeons lately too.  But I saw a cormorant fly past yesterday, only the second time I've seen one here - s/he'd have more luck on the Cornbury lakes than trying to find fish in the Evenlode just now!

As for that link, why a Redditch shopping centre of all places!!

Simon J Harley
👍

Wed 6 Mar, 18:16

It's definitely a large flock of birds so may well be Starlings. They are all taking off together, swirling in the sky, and then flying off.

K Harper
👍

Wed 6 Mar, 15:40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51317pzj42o

Mark Benians
👍 1

Wed 6 Mar, 12:11

I believe it is the dawn chorus you are enjoying, a lovely sound to wake up to! Murmuration normally describes the spectacular movement of a flock of starling in the evening.

Simon J Harley
👍 2

Wed 6 Mar, 06:42

Are there more birds around this year?  The noise in the morning is incredible.  I don’t know if this is the correct term, but the murmuration of birds the last few mornings around 6am while walking the dog is quite amazing to watch.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.