Broadband providers? Sky? Gigaclear?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 2

Sun 25 Feb, 14:20

Also, a possible factor, is how you use "the internet". Are you simply streaming for PC/Smart TV/Podcasts etc? Or do you do substantial work from home with the applications working "in the Cloud"?

If the latter and quite a bit of data flow is from you to the "outside" then you might find that the ADSL telephone wire system can't upload at more than about 4-8mbs. My partner who is Homebase found the upstream speed very constricting so we decided to go to the optical fibre provision from Gigaclear. My "gamer" son also appreciates the much improved latency of the Gigaclear connection.

The reliability was a bit erratic at first and we've kept the Phone Coop service so far as a backup. However, to be fair, after recent work by Gigaclear (somewhere) the reliability is much improved.

So for simple asynchronous ADSL use without gaming teenagers to soak up the data bits, support the local Phone Coop. If a high data flow user, especially upload data like cloud-based business application, Gigaclear is probably your only option. Hope that helps.

Nick Birkett
👍

Sun 25 Feb, 11:03

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated :) 

K Harper
👍 1

Sat 24 Feb, 18:17

Have a look at Utility Warehouse; I have my electric, gas, home phone, broadband, mobile phone, and home insurance with them; I submit meter readings on the last day of the month then about 3 weeks later I pay only for what I have used the previous month. Yes, my bills are less in the summer and more in the winter but I budget over a year so the money builds up in MY account not theirs!  Kris

Chris Eaton
👍 1

Sat 24 Feb, 17:36

We have gigaclear @£17/month  for the 1st 18 months then increases to £41/mth. We get 300Mbps so fairly fast. So far so good.

Mark Luntley
👍 1

Sat 24 Feb, 13:59 (last edited on Sat 24 Feb, 14:01)

You could negotiate - as Mark and Jan do. But I personally dislike that model, the suppliers know some people will not want to haggle and rely on that when they increase prices at the end of their "introductory" offers.

As an alternative I'd suggest Phone Coop (based in Chipping Norton - now part of Midcounties). They don't have a low introductory price, so the cost doesn't jump at the end of the first year or so. It's not the very cheapest (£28/month) but we find it works well at a reasonable price.

Mark Benians
👍

Sat 24 Feb, 11:35

I have successfully negotiated discounts on renewal with Gigaclear and I think their speed tends to be much faster.

Jan Going
👍

Sat 24 Feb, 09:40

I have been with Sky for a few years but every time there is a price increase, I usually barter for something reasonable.  Gigaclear are offering a tempting £17/month rate but, if you look at the small print, their price increases to £41 after the initial period.

Nick Birkett
👍

Sat 24 Feb, 09:28

Hi neighbours, 

I'm currently with Sky broadband. Their internet has been faultless for the last year but the price is going up to £40+ per month. 

Gigaclear seems to be the other option in Charlbury. 

Anyone got thoughts on which provider is best? 

Thanks! Nick

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.