Gigaclear - recommend?

Simon Fenn
👍

Tue 30 Jan, 19:16

Thanks all.  Plunge taken...

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 30 Jan, 19:16

Very happy and excellent performance, easy installation. Customer service based in Abingdon, very knowledgeable and helpful.  Very fast connection, download and upload. 

Katie Ewer
👍

Tue 30 Jan, 16:47

Although installation can be problematic, the actual service once set up is very good and since the recent outage, I have found the connection to be much more stable. We were able to renew our contract after 18 months at nearly the same price as the introductory offer. I work from home mostly and this is definitely the most cost-effective service I could find. Customer service is pretty good too. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 30 Jan, 16:13

If you need a good uplink speed for your work with data and processing in "The Cloud" I'm not sure you've got anywhere left to go.

With the ISP we'd been using until Gigaclear dug in the Fibreoptic cabling we had an asynchronous supply (hence the jargon in "ADSL") where upload was often as low as 2 megabit with terrible Latency times so that it seriously affected her work and got data losses and other problems.

We've found the connection erratic, especially at night and almost always for years going off in the early hours, but often enough during the day for us to keep on with our plain old copper wire ADSL connection, although meaning to just alter the Subscription to the most basic service. To us the backup of falling back onto ADSL given the sometimes erratic Gigaclear link is useful.

However, having said that, the last few weeks since a lot of the Town lost connection, the reliability has increased significantly and haven't had to fall back to the POTS line at all (Pots - plain old telephone system).

The claimed data speed is seldom reached, but its enough and significantly more than ADSL and of course the Uplink is the same as down, more or less. My son, a serious "gamer" and something like president of the "E-Sports Society" at Durham University appreciates the much shorter Latency when playing games on Global platforms, sometime they make up international teams with members in a squad from China, Europe, the Americas! And yes, E-Sports are a thing in modern students' lives. Quieter than ye olde rugger buggers of my memory in a uni 50 years ago, so that's something.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Mon 29 Jan, 17:20

Very happy with them personally – the occasional glitch but that's inevitable with any provider. Tip: if you're signing up for an 18-month contract, get in touch with them when that's about to be up and you can (at least hitherto) haggle for a better renewal rate than the default.

Simon Fenn
👍

Mon 29 Jan, 17:15

Is Gigaclear's broadband service reliable?  Are they easy to deal with?  (In your experience.)

Anyone got any quick answers?  We have the access point installed.  Wondering whether to take advantage of their January broadband offers....

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.