The Bell

Jackie Hague
👍 17

Wed 24 Jan, 15:02

Several eateries now asked for CC details on booking.  As for the Bamfords being able to 'afford the odd no show', how very impolite!  Regardless of whether or not the owner is wealthy, this is a business.  Apart from being bad manners if someone doesn't cancel, it means the venue is unable to offer the booking to another party.  Meanwhile, staff still need to be paid and supplies delivered in readiness for serving meals based on the number of patrons expected. 

James Styring
👍 4

Wed 24 Jan, 12:59

If you book online you have to leave card details, local or not. 

Hamish Nichol
👍

Wed 24 Jan, 12:07

Being 'a local' in towns such as Stow or Bourton  gets you 'local's prices', typically 10% off in most eating establishments. Whilst it's a good perk for the local trade it still seems somewhat exploitative of tourists?!

Stephen Bubb
👍 6

Wed 24 Jan, 11:17

Well! I’ve just had a phone call from the Bell and apparently I should never have received a cancellation. Apparently they have put in a new system and they should’ve noted that I am a local and therefore not been asked for credit card details. It was nice of them to ring to explain this. And good to know that if your local you won’t be asked for credit card details, so if you are booking the Bell to make sure you tell them you’re local. 

Stephen Bubb
👍 5

Wed 24 Jan, 09:30

Just to be clear on the “standard practise ‘ point I made my booking in person and was then sent an email asking for my credit card details. Shortly thereafter, I received a reminder. Because I didn’t respond immediately, within 24 hours, my booking was cancelled. This is rude and discourteous. They had my phone number and could have rung to find out if there was an issue. As I told them, I’m currently organising a funeral and frankly giving the Bell my details on demand was not my top priority. I am furious at such discourtesy, and I would hope that it is not standard practice to behave like this with customers elsewhere. Not just they don’t want locals,  they clearly don’t want people who jump to attention when they get an email from The Bell.  

Mark Sulik
👍 4

Tue 23 Jan, 20:26

Charlie, how many years living in Charlbury is sufficient to be considered local ? and do they have to be continuous? Obviously, not a competition and I’m sure this has been the subject of many discussions on the forum !  A bit like banking and insurance….. looking after the new customers first ! I’m sure the management and owners have no idea of who is local and who are visitors , hence the security of requesting the deposits . ? 

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 23 Jan, 20:19

Chris , why not go out for supper with Charlie M 😜.

By the way , we never thanked you for the walnuts you gave us 

Charlie M
👍 3

Tue 23 Jan, 20:07

I would be interested to hear The Bell's side of the story, but as one who has not had the pleasure of eating out in company for quite some time, The Bell is now off limits. Such a shame ... as it used to be lovely, and one year every room in the hotel was filled with guests at my birthday party. I have only lived in Charlbury for 28 years, so am a long way from being a local, but it would seem that they seek a more "exclusive" client than Charlbury locals... 

...or are they doing that because they need to raise enough money to take their wall down?!

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 23 Jan, 19:35

The Bell , a hotel with a restaurant and not a fair comparison with a public house ?

Gareth Epps
👍 7

Tue 23 Jan, 17:14

Unlike most publicans, the Bamfords can afford the odd no show.

Chris Wastie
👍 1

Tue 23 Jan, 17:05

Mark it looks like i must get out in the real world ......Chris wastie

Mark Sulik
👍 8

Tue 23 Jan, 15:14

Standard practice in many restaurants as the issue of people not showing up for bookings and the result of loss revenue is not fair.  They should do this for no shows for NHS appointments , it would resolve the huge number of missed appointments and allowing others to use the spaces ? The modern world ?

Christine Battersby
👍 3

Tue 23 Jan, 14:46

As I recall, The Bell puts a credit-card pre-payment charge of £35 per person booked in for a meal, with cancellations needing to be notified 24 hours before. I do, of course, understand the need to cover their costs in case of no-shows, but £35 pp is extremely steep. 

For The Wild Rabbit (also Daylesford) the charge only applies to parties of 5 of more, and only if they are unable to fill the table with substitute guests; but there's no equivalent statement (in fact nothing at all) on The Bell website about the £35 fee -- and when I booked it was for 2 people and the policy applied. 

And, no, I don't think locals are a priority for The Bell. The bar area is extremely cramped, and I'm sure they don't want too many locals parking at the back. For me, this is a real shame as they have an excellent range of non-alcoholic drinks for those who, like me, can no longer drink alcohol, but who would like a celebratory glass or two ... Also their disabled access is much better than either The Bull or Chloe's. I won't totally give up on them, but have not been hurrying back.

Chris Wastie
👍 2

Tue 23 Jan, 14:16

who on earth is running the Bell now to ask for payment in advance like that.

they wont be in business very long if they treat their customers like this.

chris Wastie

Stephen Bubb
👍 3

Tue 23 Jan, 12:59

Shocking  treatment of locals! I popped into the Bell Monday to book dinner for me and Tony. I then received an email asking me for my credit card details. They sent me a reminder this morning and then shortly thereafter informed me they were cancelling my booking because I had not responded immediately with my Details. As I told them in a somewhat  excoriating email reply i’m currently rather busy organising a funeral, so sadly jumping to attention when I got an email from the  Bell was not my top priority. I am livid at this treatment. I’ve been going to the Bell over the years – some 40 in fact. Perhaps respect for long-standing local residence is not something that the new owners believe is important?  I shall certainly not be attending the Bell or the foreseeable future. I guess I'm just not the demographic they want to be bothered with? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.