Market Street parking

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 26 Jul 2010, 18:00

The school time car parking is fine as it gives the lollipop lady an inbuilt advantage in slowing down vehicles approaching the crossing point! Where the problem of fast traffic is most acute is with the increasing popularity of My Time after school clubs as LOTS of kids are out…

Long post - click to read full text

Roger Short
👍

Wed 21 Jul 2010, 22:44

No one has mentioned the parked cars on the approach to the school from hill close to the school markigs at the top of the hill ,as when the school turns out it is not possible to do 40mph or even 20 mph when passing the parked cars .As in market street Care needs to be taken when parking and a lot more consideration of peoples access to their driveways .But when will people listen .

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 18 Jul 2010, 22:57

I think the double yellow lines extend further towards the crossroads than they need to be. A leftover from bus's using the road? Some judicious pruning of double yellows (and a few additional metres in other places like the bottom of Enstone Rd past the coop where the bus's often only have millimetres to squeeze by) could be worth a general review by the relevant authorities.

While we are at it a speed bump or two at least by the island on The Slade where the school crossing is would be good for out of hours kids crossing the road after post school activities. I frequently witness cars doing in excess of 40mph along this stretch both up from, and down before the downhill stretch.

Even better a pelican crossing - what other kid has to die before we get one at the school like what happened about 11 years back to obtain a crossing at the Londis shop location?

Gareth Miller
👍

Sat 17 Jul 2010, 17:30

You would be amazed at the number of people who park right across our drive (Chelwood, opposite Post Office). And even more park half way across it, which is just as bad! Usually the person is in the P.O. and I go in and make a (very polite) enquiry. But once I was nearly late for a funeral as the person had disappeared entirely and didn't return for over 20 minutes!

Caroline Shenton
👍

Tue 13 Jul 2010, 20:11

I think it's also worth pointing out that what space there is left on Market Street is used increasingly inefficiently. It would be a real step forward if people would park as close as feasible to the next car rather than leaving several feet at either end of their own vehicle, which otherwise would take a whole other car. It's very exasperating to Market St residents...and next time I see someone outside my house parking in this way, I intend to ask them - politely - to squish up!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 13 Jul 2010, 17:18

I have to admit I've not noticed anyone leaving a car outside our current house for weeks - but I don't really expect to find a space to park there, so I wouldn't really notice who's there and who isn't. When we moved into the centre of town from the edge we were very aware that parking wouldn't be easy. (And maybe we should have a permanent rolling display of the website in the bookshop window!)

Susan - that's really helpful information; thank you. If you or Jon speak to whoever's having the work done, could I suggest that pieces of paper on the bins saying "Space needed for building lorries, work to be complete by (date)" would help the situation?

Roger - very good point; thank you too.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 13 Jul 2010, 10:34

Convictions are difficult to be courageous about at the best of times. A former neighbour of mine when I lived in Finstock parked in Market Street last year when she caught the train to work in Oxford. I mentioned that Market Street residents might start leaving embarrassing notes on the the car if and when they realised, so she agreed not to leave it there in future. I see she now parks in Park Street!

Richard, your next door neighbour (I think) left his car in the same spot outside your house for weeks on end. What action did you take? It's difficult if it's someone you know. I know both the people you are writing about, one certainly and the other probably, and I'm sure you do too. Neither will read this forum. I've put your original posting in the bookshop window in the hope one or both will read it, so with luck you'll be able to have the discussions you want.

I think it would be an excellent idea if we put notes on the windscreens of cars whose owners are certainly using the street instead of the station car park. I will print off some notes that say "Please do not use this street as a car park for the station. People live and work here." They're free to anyone who can use them, and you can sign them if you wish.

Susan Way
👍

Tue 13 Jul 2010, 10:01

I don't know if the notes and the wheelie bins are connected, but there is a lot of building work taking place down the Alley off Market Street (not our house I hasten to add) and the bins etc are there to allow space for lorries to deliver supplies. I don't know how long that state of affairs will continue.

Roger Short
👍

Mon 12 Jul 2010, 21:53

Richard ,surely the best thing to do is ignore these notes until the people who put them there have the nerve to confront you .I believe this is what you told me to do on this very forum (and very good advice is was too).

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 12 Jul 2010, 20:19

Move them put a note with your phone number on them asking what bylaw he is trying to enforce.He may breaking the law by causing an obstruction

John Munro
👍

Mon 12 Jul 2010, 17:45

Richard,
Do you by any chance think that the annonymous person who left you the note is the same person who has put cones and a wheelie bin out to mark 'his/her territory'? :-)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 12 Jul 2010, 15:02

I'm a bit bemused by two recent changes along Market Street.

One is the sudden proliferation of traffic cones and strategically placed wheelie bins, seemingly to mark out personal parking spaces.

Parking is always going to be at a premium in a densely packed town centre with narrow streets; this…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.