Mechanical watch repair/servicing recommendations?

Reg James
👍

Sun 28 Jan, 20:13

I have also used LHT recently for a Mondaine watch and they did a perfect job.

Mark Luntley
👍

Sun 28 Jan, 12:12

I used https://www.lockerhullthornton.com to repair a Mondaine watch a couple of years back, and they did a good and comprehensive job. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 27 Jan, 13:18

Anymore suggestions from anyone.  I hadn't thought about using a parcel delivery "remote" repairer still being stuck in the idea of your Local Town's Watchmaker physical shop! Times they are a'changing.

It's a very good quality basic movement - date, automatic, shock buffered or whatever that mechanism was called (incabloc?)…

Long post - click to read full text

Simon Fenn
👍

Wed 17 Jan, 18:42

Again, not local but Genesis Watchmaking (guy called Duncan Potter, somewhere in Wales) is very good in my experience.  

Check their website: www.genesiswatchmaking.co.uk

NADINE MILLS
👍

Wed 17 Jan, 10:44

I'll second the Clock Workshop in Witney - it's appointment only but they fixed my husband's old Tag Heuer which had been stuffed in a bag for years in no time. Watches of Switzerland had said it was kaput - what did they know!

Chris Arnold
👍 1

Wed 17 Jan, 09:21

Not sure if he does watches but you could try David Mitchell in Charlbury who repairs and services clocks- 01608 238269

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Tue 16 Jan, 20:40

Although not local I used:

https://fixmywatch.co.uk/

Postal service there and back.  I'd approached various local outfits and was told that it was "beyond repair", but "Fix My Watch" provided an excellent service at a competitive price.

I would certainly use them again - but there's been no need, even after two years.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Tue 16 Jan, 18:34

In the past I have used Banbury Vintage Watch and Jewellers in Castle Quay, Banbury. Some years ago now, but they seem to be still there. 

The Clock Workshop in Witney is the repairer on the BBC programme, The Repair Shop, and obviously incredibly skilled. His sister is also a part of the The Repair Shpp team. 

Alan Cobb
👍 1

Tue 16 Jan, 17:37

You could try Johnson the Cleaners, 20 Market St, Chipping Norton.  They do Watch repairs as well as cleaning of clothes these days.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍 2

Tue 16 Jan, 16:17 (last edited on Tue 16 Jan, 16:21)

I have used the Clock Workshop in Witney for watch repair and was happy with their work. They are nationally known and tend to specialize in conservation grade work so a complete overhaul might prove to be eye-wateringly expensive. If you are not dealing with a Rolex level device there may be less expensive alternatives around.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 16 Jan, 15:48

I'd like to fettle my old good quality Swiss movement mechanical watch that has lain unused in a plastic bag for 25 years. It has a minor fault with the date setting mechanism so a bit more than a simple clean and re-oiling.  

Any recommendations for good local watch repairers?

By now the volatile fractions of the oil used to last service it will have dispersed leaving a gummy residue, even in a waterproof casing, and that is a warning to anyone thinking of reviving a mechanical watch after years of disuse, even if it was serviced before storing, to have it cleaned/oiled before using again.  

My simple digital watch has failed and one becomes bored of replacing batteries, besides modern phones make things like watch alarms redundant and less fiddly to use. So... joining the fashion for returning to things like traditional automatic winding mechanical timekeeping.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.