British gas storage heater warning

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Mon 8 Jan, 20:23

I signed up to Octopus a year ago and both Christine Battersby and I got £ 50 each. Happy days.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 8 Jan, 20:12

Great info Christine…

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 8 Jan, 19:37

Is it worth those with storage heaters looking at the Flexible Octopus tariff instead? Prices here: https://octopus.energy/blog/energy-price-cap-jan-2024/

There was a rather useless discussion of this topic on You and Yours today. It didn't seem to recognise that a night rate still exists if you are on the right tariff and with a good company.

NB if somebody does decide to change to Octopus, do phone them and talk about things, but don't sign up without getting a link from an existing Octopus customer. Using a link from an existing Octopus customer gives the new Octopus customer and the person referring them £50 each. Plenty of people in Charlbury would be happy to oblige.

Gareth Davies
👍 1

Mon 8 Jan, 11:53

It is definitely a battle! Try contacting citizens advice bureau and explain to them the situation, probably best to email them it can be easier to explain and also do an online search type in oneshow/watchdog they might be able to help. 

Watching the post office drama on TV and it's just the same type of denial that there is anything wrong with their new system, its a nightmare getting them to accept. 

My worry is all those at risk vulnerable people who have storage heating and and don't know what is happening and don't have anyone to support them with help.

Whatever happened to taking responsibility and accountability?

Valerie Stewart
👍

Mon 8 Jan, 10:23

Thank you for that, Gareth.

I'm locked into a battle with E.ON Next that's been going on for two years without any resolution.  In 2021 they took (by estimate) three times the amount in 2018, and they simply respond 'that's what the system says.'  But in the course of this debate I've discovered that when they took over from nPower they sent an email saying that there's be no change in tariff, but nonetheless it appears that they immediately put their prices up.  

It's a nightmare getting any sense out of them, but I would extend your advice to anyone - not just British Gas customers - to check current tariffs and previous ones.   

I didn't realise that relations with utility companies are now adversarial.  

Gareth Davies
👍 2

Mon 8 Jan, 09:58

For anyone who has storage heaters (economy 7 tariff) or knows anyone who has them friend, family or vulnerable person then your tariff might very well have changed without your or their knowledge. 

On the 3rd of November British gas changed their system over to a new one and migrated all customers which they warned people about. 

What isn't common knowledge is that dual rate tariffs which include overnight charging was changed to a single rate tariff instead. 

This ultimately means a bill that is more than doubled, any vulnerable person without this information might very well be turning their heating off right about now.

I can't say it's easy to get the problem rectified it's more down to who exactly your talking to at the time. 

If you do have an issue you need to point out that before the change over on 3rd Nov you had 2 meter readings and after 3rd Nov it was one. Need to tell them you want to go back to the old system and your bill readjusted. 

Good luck 👍. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.