The Bull - Garden Bar

Hans Eriksson
👍 6

Fri 19 Jan, 13:27

Application withdrawn

https://publicaccess.westoxon.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=S3X0IURKFH400&activeTab=summary

Liz Reason
👍 2

Wed 17 Jan, 22:22

WODC reported at a meeting of the council's Traffic Committee that it is meeting with The Bull to try to resolve planning and licensing issues.

Matthew Greenfield
👍 7

Wed 17 Jan, 22:01 (last edited on Wed 17 Jan, 22:24)

I was sent two online reviews of The Bull today, both extremely effusive. One from December in "Luxury London" (no, never heard of it):

https://luxurylondon.co.uk/travel/uk/the-bull-charlbury-cotswolds-review/

Title: "The Bull, Charlbury: A posh Cotswolds pub pulling out all the stops" - it says that Charlbury is AKA "Notting-Hill-on-the-Wolds"!

The other was in today's Times by Giles Coren who gave it a 9 for food, a 9 for service and 10 out of 10 for "vibes" (not sure if the link will work):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2aa73485-ceb8-423f-b8a0-62446cdc53c4?shareToken=9cdb009b0911350910cb86633b96984c

He was very complimentary about the staff who "have been mined from the apparently infinite seam of beautiful, young, well-educated, smiling, little woodland godlets that make 21st-century Cotswold eating the eternal pleasure it is." 

Blimey. I think they are going to need a bigger car park...

Miles Walkden
👍 15

Sun 14 Jan, 08:26

Parking behind the Bull now reduced to 4 spaces. Does anyone have an update on when the 12-15 parking spaces will be restored? It would be nice to leave some parking for other businesses in the town soon. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 16

Mon 1 Jan, 17:19

I’ll be reasonably circumspect as I don’t particularly want to drag this one out. Regular readers will remember “James Norris” and a succession of aliases since then, most of which have lasted a couple of days; these are all the person who posted this morning.

I do know their identity but would prefer not to ‘dox’ them unless absolutely unavoidable. From a forum point of view, I'm happy with their assurance they’ll no longer post. Emily is right though – this merits a personal apology really, rather than one via the forum.

Emily Algar
👍 26

Mon 1 Jan, 11:11

What happened early this morning is disgusting. 

"Trev the Troll", who still refuses to give us his full name, not only impersonated someone he doesn't know and who had absolutely nothing to do with the Bull not being able to get celebrate as they would have liked on NYE (it was down to them not applying for the correct licensing, I believe), but also decided to dox Calum and his family.

If you disagree with what's being said on here, type away to your heart's content but why "Trev the Troll" felt the need to post under fake names, is petty and childish. You owe Calum more than a half-hearted apology. 

Trev the Troll
👍

Mon 1 Jan, 10:27 (last edited on Mon 1 Jan, 10:53)

As Richard mentions he’d like to discuss this, I thought I’d share why I’ve been a pain in behind for him as the admin of the forum. I’ve lived here for nearly 10 years and never posted until 3-4 years ago with aliases to provide reasonable, yet tongue-in-cheek counter points when I felt people were going OTT with regards to 4x4s, The Bull, planning permission etc. However I acknowledge posting as somebody real is a step too far and apologise to Calum, somebody I do not know. It was mean spirited, something I’ve never intended to be.

I love Charlbury, but think the often negative comments against any progress hold us back. The Bull’s transformation has been brilliant, yet there’s a campaign to prevent that which I feel is very harsh both to the new owners and wider community who love it.

You have my word I’ll no longer post. Happy New Year to all.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 5

Mon 1 Jan, 08:53

Sorry about that Calum. I’ve moved the post out to the Debate board for now. I’ll write more about our persistent troll (the author of the post in question) later. 

Calum Hulme
👍 2

Mon 1 Jan, 08:42

This post below is fake using my name. It is also completely untrue.

Romaine Schmidt
👍 11

Sun 31 Dec 2023, 18:28

The Bull Inn is a real asset to the community, super food, a cheerful hospitality team and a great employer for the local resident students. I'm thrilled that they are doing so well in the town.

I do hope that the garden/car parking miniority moanings get resolved quickly and that we can all enjoy the wonderful ambience & events in the pub garden very soon. 

Let's be kind and supportive of Charlbury's small businesses who are providing wonderful places for us to enjoy. 

Amanda
👍 21

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 15:46

That is such sad news! We love The Bull and especially love the garden area. We wish that the Council would support you rather than hinder you. Your presence in Charlbury is an asset. Happy New Year! 

Dave Oates
👍 31

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 14:32

I hope that whoever has complained about The Bull to the extent that their New Years Plans have had to be changed is delighted with themselves. We are so lucky to have The Bull as an alternative to the wonderful Rose & Crown and Three Horseshoes and have a real variety of pubs to frequent. I would hate to think that one or two killjoys will selfishly stop the rest of us from enjoying everything that is on offer.

Oh and if the complainers are reading this, please make sure you are wearing your best Scrooge ear muffs when the people of Charlbury sing Auld Lang Syne very loudly at midnight on NYE on Bull Corner. (Or alternatively call an emergency WODC council meeting to have it banned)

Kamil Swiderek
👍 12

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 08:12

Dear guests,

Firstly, thank you so much for your support over our opening 6 months. We love serving you each and every day and being custodians of this wonderful pub.

Unfortunately, we received some disappointing news from the Council last weekend informing us of issues with using our rear Garden Bar. The short-term repercussions of this are that we are not able to use that bar until we have reviewed these issues.

Needless to say, we are shattered by this, we want The Bull to be enjoyed by as many people as possible and would dearly love to keep using that bar. We are, however, always respectful of the rules and so will abide by the council guidance until we can fix this matter.

That being said we will not be serving drinks, food or have music in the garden on New Year Eve. The pub will of course be open as usual. We are so sorry if this effects some of your plans.

Thank you again for all your support.

The Bull

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.