Famous First Words ...

Valerie Stewart
👍 1

Wed 27 Dec 2023, 18:24

It was a lady - Pippa Evans - and she didn't half belt it out.  

Gareth Epps
👍

Wed 27 Dec 2023, 12:10

Ah, but did they sing it in Leonard Cohen’s style?

Valerie Stewart
👍

Wed 27 Dec 2023, 10:17

Charlie, they recently had someone sing the words of The Teddy Bears' Picnic to the tune of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.  

Charlie M
👍

Tue 26 Dec 2023, 17:31

Hear hear Valerie! Mornington Crescent is a national institution! As is One Song to the Tune of Another! To this day it amazes me how many people are quite shocked that you can sing both "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and "Pinball Wizard" to the tune of "My Old Man's a Dustman"! 

Valerie Stewart
👍 3

Tue 26 Dec 2023, 16:04

Charlie - I've just been reading a book by Marcus du Sautoy on games all around the world; it's brilliant, highly recommended.  Would you believe that he quotes 'Mornington Crescent' from I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, saying that it originated in a session with the cast down the pub, talking about a producer they really disliked, and after a few jars they decided to invent a game in which it was absolutely impossible to infer the rules, deduce any structure, predict winners, etc.   Hence Mornington Crescent, long may it live.  

Charlie M
👍

Tue 26 Dec 2023, 14:28

Valerie, occasionally the wonderful "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" had a "Famous First Words" round! The one I particularly remember was back in the days when Humphrey Lyttleton was the Chairman - I think it was Tim Brooke-Taylor who suggested that the first words of Mister McDonald (of junk food fame!), while lying in his pram, might have been "Gee! I just thought of a great use for those dirty nappies!"

Valerie Stewart
👍 3

Tue 26 Dec 2023, 14:07

No connection with anything happening locally, just a seasonal smile:  Does anyone remember when the New Statesman was a really good read?  Especially the competitions?

They had one where the preamble was that although the last words of many famous people were on record, their first words ... not so much.  Readers were invited to remedy the deficit.  The winner was the first words of the little baby Jesus:  'I feel a right bastard mucking up your Christmas like this.'  

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.