Cornbury Festival

Chris Bates
👍

Mon 5 Jul 2010, 10:05

can't have been very many at all, as the queues for food stretched way back on Saturday evening and took at least 30 minutes to be served at many stalls.

This problem needs sorting out - either the stallhoklders agree to cope with their queues & serve faster, or the restriction should be lifted / more food stalls provided.

Oddly, the queues were far better on Sunday, although I reckon their were fewer punters there (but not that many fewer....)

Chris Bates
👍

Mon 5 Jul 2010, 10:05

can't have been very many at all, as the queues for food stretched way back on Saturday evening and took at least 30 minutes to be served at many stalls.

This problem needs sorting out - either the stallhoklders agree to cope with their queues & serve faster, or the restriction should be lifted / more food stalls provided.

Oddly, the queues were far better on Sunday, although I reckon their were fewer punters there (but not that many fewer....)

Cathryn Taylor
👍

Mon 5 Jul 2010, 07:36

There were people carrying cool boxes in when I went on Saturday, and bags weren't being checked either!

mandy
👍

Sun 4 Jul 2010, 19:29

yes the food is expensive and i agree picnics should be allowed. So why dont you all come to finstock festival on fri 6th and Saturday the 7th august great music great food and great beer.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 2 Jul 2010, 12:49

Ultimately the Cornbury Festival is still making a loss - as per the article in today's Independent.

The food restrictions presumably bring income to Cornbury. So if they were removed, the ticket price would have to go up. I don't see how that would be any better.

Edward Fenton
👍

Fri 2 Jul 2010, 12:34

All the views expressed below are interesting and valid. There are differences of opinion, but that's to be expected in a varied community such as Charlbury. What I don't think anyone could disagree about, though, is that we're incredibly lucky to have no less than three family-friendly festivals in the space of one month: the (free) Riverside Festival in the middle of June, Cornbury at the beginning of July, and then the Charlbury Beer Festival on 10 July, down at the Cricket Club. Coming up in July we've also got a wine-tasting with star of TV and radio Monty Phillips (Memorial Hall, 8 July), two films from Charlbury's Own Cinema, jazz with Alan Fraser and friends (Corner House, 16 July) ... There's plenty of choice!

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 2 Jul 2010, 11:19

yes but this is not advertised (only on the Festival site) so some will turn up with food Perhaps no money on them. David I said I'am not going good on all the people that help this was just to point out to others theres a no food policy the ban on flags and tents makes sense. Also the riverside is as you said FREE this is not a Bar there will still pay so would the food stalls . Food ban is unnecessary. Not every one can help run things there.

Chris Bates
👍

Fri 2 Jul 2010, 09:04

Also - the change to not being able to take picnics (and other ground equipment like small tents for shade) has been on their website since the tickets went on sale - so choices were there to be made from the outset.

Dave Oates
👍

Thu 1 Jul 2010, 14:24

Paul, you are absolutely right - some of the comments on here are from people who get in free. However, it is because they are working all weekend, either involved in running a stage or promoting/raising money for Charlbury community projects (such as the school tea tent, Shed Theatre etc). As Alan says, if you want to get involved then do so! The cost of putting on a free festival such as Riverside is significant and without the bar and food, it would not be able to exist. The cost of putting on an event like Cornbury is unimaginable - land rent, security, toilet provision, power etc alone attracts massive cost and the bands are VERY expensive. It does not seem unreasonable that Cornbury leverage whatever means to cover these costs and hopefully make a small profit (and I believe this has not been achieved in recent years!). As Alan says, if you are unhappy about it, don't go!
As a final point, this "no-food and drink from outside" policy is one that is adopted by the majority of all the major festivals in the UK.

Paul Taylor
👍

Thu 1 Jul 2010, 13:55

I'm not going but people that have already got tickets now have to find more money to get food on site rather than a picnic which they would have taken. Some on here backing Hugh are going in for free any way some people are paying to enter or have prepaid have kids can't help run stalls ect, they should have a say in what they eat. lets be fair kids will want things, if parents can take stuff in cheaper its better for them. some people will still buy food there we always have done in the past. Just think its not fair to make some one pay for food on site they will have paid to enter, its that simple.

Alan Sinclair
👍

Thu 1 Jul 2010, 13:09

Its simple if you don’t like the prices don’t go…….The best form of protest is to hit them in there pocket……..or get involved with a local project and get in for free!!! Then you will not mind the food and drink prices.

Paul Taylor
👍

Thu 1 Jul 2010, 10:10

(Hugh Phillimore is barely breaking even at the moment) Families are having hard time as well its the current economic climate. Leaving a picnic in a hot car nice. If people can afford to buy food on site they will but to ban picnics and force people to pay stupid price is wrong. Perhaps the pitch rents could have been kept down so the stall holders would have to sell less and picnics still allowed. Being greedy will kill off what is a great event

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 1 Jul 2010, 09:06

Hugh Phillimore is barely breaking even at the moment, and traders I suspect are baulking at paying the stall rental if the punters aren't a captive audience...

The trade-off is having somewhere that Charlbury organisations can raise much-needed money (does anyone know just how much is made in total over the weekend?) vs having to pay for food and drink.

well organised families could always picnic outside the arena in the grounds close to the car park, before entering, and picnic again just outside the arena (having got their picnic from their car) in the evening, still in earshot of the music...

Susan Way
👍

Wed 30 Jun 2010, 09:40

I'm disappointed in Cornbury Festival this year - I think they are just being greedy in banning picnics and drinks. At £2/bottle for water and £7.50 for a bowl of pasta, it's going to be extremely expensive to take the family - I thought it was marketed as a family event?

Chris Bates
👍

Wed 30 Jun 2010, 09:00

£5.50....see here

www.cornburyfestival.com/fabulousfeasts.php

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 30 Jun 2010, 00:05

Jamie Oliver has his new pasta express there, starting this weekend. I would love to know how much his pasta portions costs? Flour and water always makes a good profit, for some, just like oil!

Alex Westbury
👍

Tue 29 Jun 2010, 21:28

You can always come and support the Charlbury School Association who are doing the tea & cake tent, and help raise money for the school!

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 28 Jun 2010, 21:42

Most people will be there all day not just 3 hour yes I saw 500ml bottle allowed but most people will want to take bigger bottles with the heat. Food ban is out of order full stop families can't pay event prices so should have chance to take there own food in. This is just to inform people don't spend any money on a picnic as no food is alould in and will be a waste of their money

russell robson
👍

Mon 28 Jun 2010, 21:17

There doesn't appear to be a ban on water or soft drinks, just they can't be in bottles bigger than 500ml.

I just went to a 20/20 cricket match. Tickets £25 for 3 hrs, no food or drink allowed in the ground, even more to see Arsenal play at the Emirates.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 28 Jun 2010, 19:24

£55 a ticket and picnics are not allowed so you have to buy ripoff priced food same goes for the drinks if it is as hot as this weekend you will want some water and they have put a ban on taking your own in just a warning here the link . www.cornburyfestival.com/changes2010.php

Alan Sinclair
👍

Fri 25 Jun 2010, 09:22

No Charlbury residents do not get cheap tickets Chris,

However if you a regular volunteer at one local cause and are helping raise money for your chosen cause over the weekend at Cornbury Festival you receive a FREE ticket for yourself.

Chris Bates
👍

Fri 25 Jun 2010, 08:48

Don't Charlbury residents get residents tickets at a cheaper price?....I thought you did?

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Thu 24 Jun 2010, 11:13

While looking to buy tickets on their website there is a section for promotional codes does anybody know a code that may help reduce the cost of the tickets ?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.