Telecoms firms told2 safeguard at risk from phone switch off

Charlie M
👍 2

Mon 18 Dec 2023, 18:33 (last edited on Mon 18 Dec 2023, 19:45)

The whole question of the proposal for switching to digital has been swept under the carpet, as far as i can tell, by the terrestrial phone networks and by the government. 

What would it mean, in terms of potential issues?

Suppose you suffered a power cut. Currently, an "old-fashioned" land line will still work, as the power (around 50 Volts, as I recall) for the phone comes along the phone line from the exchange. But under the new system, you will have NO power connection for your phone via your land line, as the power comes from "your end". What if your mobile phone battery is flat? You have suffered a power cut, so you cannot charge it!.

As usual, the telecoms industry wants to RUSH the changeover: we are being told that it is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2025. This is insane

In my view, the industry needs to take a breather and delay the whole thing for a minimum of five years. And probably TEN years,

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 18 Dec 2023, 17:06

UK telecoms firms told to safeguard at-risk customers in switch to digital landlines

Minister’s move follows reports of pensioners left unable to call for help

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/dec/18/uk-telecoms-firms-told-to-safeguard-at-risk-customers-in-switch-to-digital-landlines

Full text below:

Anna Tims

Telecare alert and control systems for vulnerable people

Telecare alert and control systems for vulnerable people. Some telecare devices…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.