Eggs and Butter Supplier

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 13 Jun 2010, 00:18

Diana, you are being picky about what Callow supply but your narrow point is not wrong.

And hopefully they are feeding the pigs on waste food like they used to do in the old days - swill - thus using them as a final dumping place for waste food from places like schools like the local farmer in the time I spent at a English school on moving over from Canada with my war bride mother.

But I bet EC "safety regulations" have put a stop to waste food use and the pigs are being fed on fresh grown crops thus wasting the opportunity to close the food cycle they used to facilitate...

Waste materials in the food stream is what pigs are *for* in a balanced organic agricultural system.

But the case rests that if one consumes eggs or dairy products one inevitably has on ones' conscience the fate of the useless males... There are only, logically, vegans or omnivores - even if the supposed vegetarians try to console themselves no animal lives were terminated in the produce they consume even if no meat or poultry flesh passed their lips.

It is a stark either/or logic which there is no arguing out of unless genetic engineering or something means that no surplus males exist ... and then the world would fill up with hens too old to lay and cows too old to milk. Whoops. Unless you put a terminator gene in so they die promptly at the end of their productive lives. And if so what does one do with the dead bodies scattered around the field or the hen house? Bury them, feed them to pigs, or eat them as they are a food source - should we be wasting any food source at all?? It's a finite world after all and we are already outstripping the area of land required to support our lifestyles by some orders in the rich world!

Diana Limburg
👍

Fri 11 Jun 2010, 20:24

@ Malcolm: Bacon + sausages = pig, not surplus male chickens or cows.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 11 Jun 2010, 03:15

Callow farm shop also do free range eggs - don't know about butter! They are to the right on the Woodstock Rd (heading from Charlbury). Do a fine range of bacon and sausages for the omnivores amongst us (i.e non hippocrites how else does one get egg laying hens without dealing with the surplus males or milk without the bullocks destined for the chop???).

Ian Taylor
👍

Mon 7 Jun 2010, 13:43

You could give a good home to some rescued battery hens - they will reward your kindness with free eggs and remarkably endearing personalities (henalities?).

One of the most rewarding things I've done recently.

www.henrehomers.net/

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 7 Jun 2010, 00:10

For eggs you have to go to Nick Potter at Lees Rest Farm - 810388 - he will be at the Farmers Market in Charlbury on Saturday.

Rachel Mansell
👍

Sun 6 Jun 2010, 13:55

I am a Charlbury cake business - Cake by Rachel. I'm trying to source as many of my ingredients as locally as possible and i am looking for a supplier of eggs and butter, either in Charlbury or reasonably close by. The eggs must be free range, if they are organic too that would be great but not essential.
If anyone can recommend a good source i would really appreciate it.
Many Thanks

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.