The Evenlode...

Rod Evans
👍 1

Wed 6 Dec 2023, 12:43 (last edited on Wed 6 Dec 2023, 12:44)

Claire (of course!) is quite right - there are different issues here, it just happened that 2 reports appeared on the same day.  The one we are more likely to be able to influence is the sewage and other pollution going into the rivers now (interesting and concerning though Alice's points are).  Desparate as ever to avoid the Debate section - but let those who might have a say know your views!  As for Thames Water - I'll stop there....

Alice Brander
👍 2

Wed 6 Dec 2023, 08:37

Goood point Malcolm.  I was wondering the same.  Then I remembered that foam fire suppressants are forever chemicals and there is a fire brigade training college up river.  Should someone be asking them whether their training involves using this foam? And if so, is it just washed down a drain?

Other known sources in France are non-stick coating materials. Do we have similar small industries?  The Mayor had to stop residents drinking tap water.  Do we have a similar situation?  

But Thames Water has told the Govt it will run out of money in April.  If they can’t raise more money from the market they will not be able to pay their debt.  Looks like the public purse will need to pick up another private failure.  When will we learn?

Claire Wilding
👍 2

Tue 5 Dec 2023, 22:13

PFOS is quite a different issue to general sewage pollution. These are toxic chemicals which take a v v long time to breakdown, most are already banned, so the chemicals showing up now may have entered our rivers decades ago. 

It isn't necessarily a sign of sewage pollution, because when wastewater gets treated some of the PFOS will go into the sewage sludge, which then gets spread on fields, and from there into rivers or the food chain. You can't easily get rid of PFOS because it doesn't break down. 

Rod Evans
👍 2

Tue 5 Dec 2023, 19:16 (last edited on Tue 5 Dec 2023, 19:18)

I think this latest table answer's John's question - according to the i (again) : "The Environment Agency failed to visit 90 per cent of toxic water spills last year, including more than 60 per cent of the most serious incidents"

Everyone involved in lobbying - and there are now groups springing (sorry!) up all over the country - seems to agree it's not the fault of the EA or water co employees on the ground, most of whom care and want to do a good job.  We're not in the debate section but Hugh, the political route is the only way I can see to hold anyone to account and bring about real change, supported by the evidence gathered through 'citizen science'.  I'm not great at either but I seem to get angrier by the day - or each passing TV programme!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 5 Dec 2023, 13:13

What I don't get is how these fluorinated chemicals are getting into the Evenlode water? I thought they were run-off from industrial manufacturing processes (electronics in particular??) and how does run-off from a farming valley with a string of modest sized residential settlements produce so much? What I know nothing about is what is about up to the headwaters and feed tributaries into the river catchment. Anyone aware?

Hugh Belshaw
👍 1

Tue 5 Dec 2023, 12:34

Rod's map seems to show that the Evenlode is the most polluted river in England for PFOS. Last nights Panorama made it clear that both the Environment Agency and the water companies are failing us. How do we hold them to account?

Meanwhile we canoeists and wild swimmers need to learn to keep our mouths shut whilst on or in the water.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 5 Dec 2023, 11:37

‘Forever chemical’ in English tap water samples carcinogenic, WHO rules

These are the PFOAS as well as PFOs mentioned in the map posted on the previous message. Where POAs go PFOAs will follow and the latter are carcinogenic.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/01/forever-chemical-in-english-tap-water-samples-carcinogenic-who-rules

Full text pasted in below:

‘Forever chemical’ in English tap water…

Long post - click to read full text

John Dora
👍 1

Mon 4 Dec 2023, 20:42

Is the Environment Agency failing us, or is it the cuts in their funding that has caused the problem? Back in the 1990s I worked for the EA and had teams of land drainage gangs who maintained the rivers for flood resilience purposes, all employed directly by the EA. Happy days! Sadly all gone. 

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 4 Dec 2023, 11:38

What an utterly depressing map -- especially as it seems as if Thames Water has cancelled its commitment to keep funding the clean-up of the Evenlode.

See the report in the Witney Gazette last month: https://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/23908730.oxfordshire-charity-angrily-cuts-ties-thames-water/

Rod Evans
👍 5

Mon 4 Dec 2023, 10:36 (last edited on Mon 4 Dec 2023, 10:39)

... is in the News again, for all the wrong reasons, report in the i this morning:

But as I doubt any 'edible' fish (trout, mostly) have actually bred in the river for yonks, you don't need to worry about eating them!

And on Panorama tonight, The Water Pollution Cover Up - how the Environment Agency is failing us.  This not being the Debate section I'll say no more about who might be responsible for that!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.