WATNEY HISTORY

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 10:33

You could try the Museum in Market Street.   I'm sorry I don't have their number and know they are closed now until April.  You can find their contact details under Community.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 10:27

Michael, you'll find details of Charlbury Museum on this website: under Community then Town Facilities. It is possible to arrange a visit for research purposes, even during the winter months when the Museum is closed to the public, so I suggest you contact them.

They do have quite a good set of copies of records, with birth, marriage and death dates for a number of Charlbury families. They also have had exhibitions and have objects and research material relating to agricultural labour. 

But Cornbury and Wychwood is a civil parish, and is not part of Charlbury parish. You may need to be in touch with the estate with regard to their records, and see https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Cornbury_Park,_Oxfordshire_Genealogy

You might also ask on the Facebook page "Charlbury is a Town! Not a Village" to see if anyone remembers your family.

MICHAEL ROBINSON
👍

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 21:42

Hi I am a new member and trying to fill in details of my late fathers life,I know he worked for the Watneys either with Horses or Cattle and my elder sister was born in Charbury,are their any records available of the estate in the 1930s .

Many Thanks MIKE

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.