Anyone lost a couple of pheasants

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 14:24 (last edited on Wed 29 Nov 2023, 14:25)

Protein, carbohydrates, lipids and assorted minerals are all best left to re-enter the Great Recycler of Mother Gaia! But be a bit mindful of where you place them - not too close to cover for ambush hunters like cats. I've seen some well intentioned feeders put in a position where it just served up dinner for our companion species to dine well and with variegated diet.

I used to like cats, but having become aware of research into the depredations of "pets" predating upon birds and small terrestrial animal, killing over 254 million of birds alone annually! Perilously close to acquiring a .22 rifle and recycling those which seek to make a larder of our largish and nature reserve inspired garden (and now this autumn we have had a Muntjac who has taken up resting by day in a bank of bushes in our front garden, and don't know whether to let he/r/im stay. Young'un with no visible horns - is there any way to gender a Muntjac from a distance?).

Steve Jones
👍 6

Wed 29 Nov 2023, 09:56

I would take them out to a field somewhere discreet. Red kites, magpies, crows and so on will dispose of them. Not much in the way of animal protein goes to waste in the natural world.

Michael Flanagan
👍 2

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 14:35

Isn't Rebecca's problem precisely what food waste bins are there to deal with?

Rod Evans
👍 1

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 12:12

Or the muntjac I've just seen wandering cautiously up Mill Lane...

Sandy Fairhurst
👍 2

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 11:33

Been more useful if they’d been left for a local chef or two. Wonder where you’d find one nearby?!

Charlie M
👍 1

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 09:42

Rebecca, I (or rather my house) was the target of a kamikaze pigeon some weeks ago. I placed him in my garden waste bin (albeit hidden by some strategically-placed ivy), and he was removed without further ado.

Alternatively, is there a pheasant plucker in Charlbury who might like them?

The plastic, however, may be a different matter...

Rebecca Greaves
👍 7

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 08:45

Two dead pheasants in a plastic bag were kindly deposited in our recycling bin this morning on sheep street.  If anyone has misplaced them please feel free to collect them from our door step as I’m not sure WODC are currently recycling pheasants. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.