Gutter and Pavements in Charlbury

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 21:11

Exactly the same as the Seat Ibiza John and all on this trail, as they are built on the same platform and share most components. With an increase of 2.5 inches in the width of the previous model , complying and following the design requirements to achieve such ratings .But the maintenance of the pavements and gutters, unblocking and giving a clear drainage route to prevent flooding and subsequent freeze thaw in cold conditions, needs to be resolved and the focus ! Otherwise……. more pot holes - Again 

John Werner
👍

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 20:45

Mark - re the NCAP tests: have you checked out latest VW Polo?😉

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 19:58 (last edited on Mon 27 Nov 2023, 20:00)

The pavement issue has been ongoing for many years  with the narrow town centre roads  , being on bus routes and specifically market street pavements having a defined slope for the past 30 plus years. One major contributing factor of the width of cars increasing , is that of motor industry requirements to build safer vehicles / crash test NCAP related requirements. Safety! 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 13:33

The pavements are a sad reflection of years of road vehicles driving up onto them for decades.  For wheelchair users or buggy pushers we are not as friendly a place as we should be.  With little funding for such things and the tendency of some road users to demand spaces for their ever wider parked vehicles, solutions will need to be medium term at best.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 11:23

Yes Wendy. The road sweeper thankfully did come last year, but along Pooles Lane it was not possible to access the top end, which is where it is most needed, because it’s now a car park. Unless the road can be closed off for half a day, say on a Sunday morning, to accommodate the sweeper, it can never get any better.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 08:46

With lack of / reduction of drainage, the retention of water , the knock on effect of damage to the road surfaces and pot holes is a consequence.

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Sun 26 Nov 2023, 22:24

Liz Leffman may be able to confirm, but I understand that gully cleaning is now only undertaken once every three years by OCC Highways. Quite how the drains unblock themselves in the other two years is a mystery to me!

Wendy Bailey
👍 1

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 17:25

Yes there was a road sweeper this time last year year. I think the powers that be wait till all the leaf fall before clearing up. But it does happen. 

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 13:34

In comparison to many of the places I see on my travels, the state of the pavements and the gutters , and as a result of the no mow May ( extended to September ! ) the collection of debris and now large quantities of leaves, the retention of moisture, the wet weather and onset of frost, the inability to see the parking and road markings, and the blockage to the drainage system, has anyone seen a road sweeping machine or vehicle in recent years ? or is this no longer undertaken 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.