Insect bites

Felicity Brooks
👍

Mon 24 May 2010, 22:54

Poor you! I got bitten by a Blandford fly a couple of years ago down by the river in June. My leg really swelled up and was very painful. After much Internet research, I found that raw ginger rubbed on the bite was the only thing that gave some relief - worth a try anyway.

john h
👍

Fri 21 May 2010, 18:25

Yup! that will be the Blandford Fly, you can have antibiotics prescribed. both my son and daughter suffer from this pest(both family people), I think I must be too old and tough to be bitten.

sharyn
👍

Fri 21 May 2010, 15:54

did it swell up john? as when the blanford fly bite,s it really swells up and is very painful.

John Munro
👍

Fri 21 May 2010, 12:29

Not sure whether I experienced the same, but whilst gardening last Saturday, suddenly realised that I have about a dozen tiny bites on each leg with very small spots of blood coming from them. Not too painful initially, but that evening and the following 3/4 days they became very inflamed and itchy. Only just going now.

sharyn
👍

Thu 20 May 2010, 20:20

what nasty bite,s they are i got bite last aug in dorset by the blanford fly was put on antibiotics by are doctors and it was so bad that they nearly put me in hospital on a iv drip do you know that each case needs to be reported to the local council (wodc) or the council where ever it happens and its not always untill mid june it can be later that they are around. my mother has been bite 2 days ago and i do know what you all are going through and they to tend to bite females rather than males.

Cathryn Taylor
👍

Thu 20 May 2010, 13:20

I got bitten twice whilst at Blenheim Palace on Saturday afternoon and they were very nasty as well, still suffering with them nearly a week later.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Thu 20 May 2010, 10:32

Thank you, Russell, for this very useful information. I will not be able to resist the lure of the outdoors though, so will resort to insect repellant in the future.

russell robson
👍

Thu 20 May 2010, 10:12

Hi Valou,

I think we are entering "Blandford Fly" season.

Yep very nasty bug, I'm too bitter for them to bite me but wife and daughter suffer. Nothing really helps other than not getting bitten.

Cover up, insect repellant and stay inside until mid June!

Or try hayfever tabs and antisan.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Thu 20 May 2010, 09:12

Last saturday in Charlbury, I suffered two insect bites, only slightly felt at the time, that triggered a very strong inflammatory response within a few hours. I have found out since that two friends shared the same experience on the same day while walking in a local wood, and they are still struggling to keep the inflammation under control. This is the first time, in the 20 years that I have spent in the area, that I have encountered such unpleasant bites, and I am curious to know what insects would cause such a reaction this year. Any idea?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.