STATION PARKING

Alan F Harrison
👍

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 14:17 (last edited on Tue 28 Nov 2023, 14:30)

Thank you Gareth and others.

"It's still the most sensible and efficient travel option in many cases." - Gareth

Yes which is why I use the train.

However, that is a side topic.

One talks about misadventures like this on the train and people reply that the UK is the worst train service anywhere and often cite Switzerland as being the best.

Having worked in many countries including Switzerland, I agree.

Making a complaint to GWR as I have just completed can only bring pressure on UK providers to do better.

Alan Harrison

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 09:04

Even when it doesn't go as planned, and much as we'd like it to be cheaper, it's still the most sensible and efficient travel option in many cases.  The alternative is the A40 from Witney to Oxford in rush hour.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 27 Nov 2023, 23:53

Train to Paddington this morning arrived at 10.18 instead of 10.11 but arrived on time into Paddington!! Similarly train back to Charlbury departed 5 minutes late but caught up by the time it got to Charlbury! 

Mark Sulik
👍 3

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 13:12

The encouragement to use public transport, and the anti car movement supporters, until the system works - the alternatives are limited. The reliability of the train services , the infrastructure, the introduction of technology replacing real people to do real jobs is a long way from being fit for purpose.

Alan F Harrison
👍 5

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 08:35 (last edited on Sun 26 Nov 2023, 18:46)

SUNDAY 26 Nov

Cards continued to be stacked against me.

GWR kindly cancelled the 0811 to Paddington

Arrived at London AI conference not 1000 but 1140.

Incredible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday

Tried station system parking as practice for Sunday

put card in

said press button lower down

Nothing

For all the technology I can’t do I’m going to a London conference on AI on Sunday.

Alan F Harrison
👍 1

Sat 25 Nov 2023, 07:32 (last edited on Sat 25 Nov 2023, 07:33)

Thanks Christine.  

0730 and APCOA declined my bank card.  Going soon to try the station system for the 0811 Paddington 

Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye!  In those days technology hadn’t been invented.

Best wishes to you and everyone who has helped.

Alan

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 18:03

Alan, I don't understand! Are you perhaps trying to use the app, rather than the website? But even on the Apcoa Connect app, Charlbury should come up (just tried it) when you fill in that place name in the search box. There is only one location in Charlbury  - Charlbury Station 2111. (Perhaps you are using a different APCOA app??)

It is better online. Just click on this link: https://www.apcoaconnect.com/login

Click on "buy parking" and then for parking location, click on "select a location" and scroll down until you find Charlbury. There is only one location in Charlbury, and it is the Station. It says 2111 Charlbury. Clicking on "next" gives you the parking tariff and choices.

I do recommend registering, because it then has a record of all your parking, and this can act as proof in case of disputes. As I said in my previous post, I also recommend Autopay. It calculates the cheapest amount, at least has always done so for me.

If using Autopay you will fill in your details (mobile number and pick a password), add email and car registration number, credit card details etc, and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on locations. If you fill in the word Charlbury in the search box, Charlbury Station 2111 will come up.

Once you've done it once, it should remember and bring up Charlbury without all the fiddle of the first time.

Good luck! (If it still doesn't work, I can meet you in the library at some point and sort it out for you!) Enjoy your trip ...

Alan F Harrison
👍

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 13:54 (last edited on Fri 24 Nov 2023, 14:06)

Spent > hour trying APCOA but it thinks our station car parking is 20 mins walk away in Elm Court!

Plenty of online chat gave another link but still no progress.

Trying another way.  Onward Christian soldiers.

Alan F Harrison
👍 5

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 09:59

A big thank you to you all for time and skill you have expended on my behalf.

Charlbury is a marvelous community.  So many people help so many more in so many ways.

See you at the station on Saturday!

Mark Sulik
👍 3

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 21:33

Sellers responsibility to make it work ? 

The diversion of responsibility is unacceptable? In my opinion ?

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 18:38 (last edited on Thu 23 Nov 2023, 19:31)

Alan, If you park using the website link provided by Hannen, you can set up Autopay which I thoroughly recommend. The camera will detect your entry, so you don't need to worry about entering and leaving. (You have a 20 minute grace period to find a space.)

Or you can also pay normally on that website, but parking starts from the time that you put in your details, and pre-booking is not possible. 

Latepay is also possible for Charlbury, but is more expensive than normal rates (though cheaper than getting a parking ticket) and for not longer than 24 hours. Autopay is for as long as you need it to be. 

As Hannen says, there is also an app, details on that website or via googlepay (android) or via the apple app store.

Hannen thought that Oxford Parkway was Ringgo, and that is still the case: https://myringgo.co.uk/. Oxford Parkway has also now (very confusingly) a different version of APCOA: https://prebook.apcoa.co.uk/

At OXP APCOA there is no autopay, but one can pre-book. However, a place is not reserved for your car. And actually it's quite complicated because there are 2 separate car parks at Oxford Parkway and with separate parking machines (and also fines and maximum lengths of stay). 

Weekly, monthy and season tickets can be bought on the RingGo site, and it's also possible to prebook.

The Park and Ride car park has a different parking code (3925) than the Oxford Station Parking area (2622), and is best bought by machine. The machines for buying parking at the Oxford Parkway Station are much clearer than the one in Charlbury, and I would normally prefer to use them or RingGo than the APCOA pre-book site. RingGo is good if you think you might need to extend your parking time whilst you are away.

Rachel Brushfield
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 15:12

Hi Alan - step 1 is to enter your Car registration. 

I recommend taking a torch if travelling early, when dark, it helps to see the instructions. 

If you have an Iphone, worth taking a pic of the instructions on the front of the ticket machine too. 

The card payment processes quite slowly, so allow plenty of time too. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 13:32 (last edited on Thu 23 Nov 2023, 13:35)

Alan,

I've been unable to travel by train for about 3 years now, but when I did I used to book my parking using the APCOA website.

https://www.apcoaconnect.com/login

They also have an app but I preferred the PC version.

Yes Hans, Oxford Parkway is good - but from memory that's a Ringo park place, and far too big for me.  In terms of walking.

Best, Hannen.

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 13:26

Oxford parkway. Or drive up. 

Alan F Harrison
👍 2

Thu 23 Nov 2023, 12:50 (last edited on Thu 23 Nov 2023, 13:13)

Within the plan to park on Saturday I went to practise today.

Machine is in full sunlight.  The message is faded anyway.  Pressed green button.  Next stage - enter car reg.  Did  so.  It says press the button below.

Which one?

Pressed the one on the left.  Turned out to be for disabled parking.

Pressed all buttons.  No progress.

Saw parking via APCOA - STATION 2111. 

Eventually paid 3.40 as practice.  Need to arrive at 0740 for the 0811 train to London on Saturday.

Prefer to pay and see a ticket.  

Which is the best way?

Any help appreciated.

Alan Harrison 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.