Co-Op - Staffing Levels and Self Check Outs

Charlie M
👍 3

Sat 11 Nov 2023, 23:17 (last edited on Sun 12 Nov 2023, 10:15)

Self checkouts mean that the supermarkets are getting your labour for free ... so I will not use them! Sainsbury's in Witney are heartily sick of me! I always wait for a member of staff to check my stuff out.

Edit: Some time ago I wrote to Sainsbury's "top bod" Simon Roberts about this matter, and received the following statement in their reply: "We have now introduced a company-wide initiative to our stores where the colleagues will not be sitting on the checkouts waiting for customers but will be busy around the store in other roles and helping our customers in other ways, but if there is a need for a checkout be opened, they will of course be there to serve on the checkouts."

This, to put it frankly, is BS of the highest order, and in practice reality is far from this, certainly at Witney.

Matt Bullock
👍 7

Sat 11 Nov 2023, 12:18

I notice today that Booth’s (who operate only in the north) are ditching most of their self service tills in favour of staffed checkouts. Said to be down to customer feedback. Perhaps others will follow suit?

Mark Sulik
👍 3

Sat 11 Nov 2023, 11:51

I think that the management have got this wrong . It’s going to get worse !!!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.