White Lines

glena chadwick
👍 4

Tue 31 Oct 2023, 11:57

Oh help !!! Age (arthritic hands) and trying to say too much too quickly and I make SO many typos. I try to check but don't always. You'll be glad to hear the painter doesn't have a cat---only a dog which he didn't bring !

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍 2

Tue 31 Oct 2023, 11:48

I don't think the cat noticed. ๐Ÿ˜†

Susie Burnett
👍 2

Tue 31 Oct 2023, 11:32

I hope the painter's cat is OK ;)

glena chadwick
👍 1

Mon 30 Oct 2023, 18:43

I completely agree that cars should not speed (and do) but parked cars normally inhibit speeding--but, as you say, some people always will. I also agree that cars should not park opposite the entrance to Wychwood Paddocks, on the words KEEP CLEAR. But my painter was not near there---he was by my house and partly on the grass verge. I have given up driving myself as I'm rather old and also disabled so friends will try and get as near as possible when they are kindly collecting me. I will try and make sure that the entrance is not obscured.

Anna Cherry
👍

Mon 30 Oct 2023, 18:27 (last edited on Mon 30 Oct 2023, 18:46)

It took monumental effort on the part of Wychwood Paddocks residents to get as far as a white KEEP CLEAR message so a thank you to the council for making a good start. The fact is that, over the years, we have witnessed cars speeding up from the Spendlove direction on 'the wrong side of the road' due to the presence of parked cars 'even opposite the exit from Wychwod Paddocks'. (NB: today, many cars still travel faster than the statutory 20mph limit.) In addition to the hazard from the Co-op direction, during the spring and summer months, the verge to the right as you exit Wychwood Paddocks negates proper vision of traffic coming in towards town on the Enstone Road. Although, as residents, we have got used to double checking our exit strategy, our visitors - many with young children in tow - are not so accustomed to the inherent dangers. There was clearly an accident waiting to happen. So please everyone be mindful of such risks to our welfare and try to stay off the white lines but definitely do not park on the KEEP CLEAR. Thank you.

glena chadwick
👍

Mon 30 Oct 2023, 18:13

Last week I looked out of an upstairs window and saw masses of white painting on the road-----I live in Enstone Road. Two long white lines and in the gap in the middle was written KEEP CLEAR. Fair enough, the words were opposite Wychwood Paddocks and, according to the Highway Code, one should not park opposite a turning into a side road. However, I was not clear about the long white lines and looked up in google, White lines have no legal status, unlike yelolw lines. They are to point to something one should notice and take care about---in this case the entrance to the side road. So it seemed to me that one could still park on the lines but not on the writing. I sought advice from the County Council and they agreed. My painter parked by my house today---my drive is very small and narrow and he would find it very difficult to park and grt his ladders etc. out. When he lefy someone had put a notice on his cat saying 'What part of KEEP CLEAR do you not understand ?>

' I don't think he did anything wrong/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.