Charlbury pubs in the news

Christine Battersby
👍 12

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 22:30

The word "printed" is a misprint. Should be "present". Perhaps it has been corrected in the online version which I did manage to read through a gap in the paywall.

The review is so OTT and so happy to celebrate local wealth and the up-from-London crowd, it makes the pub sound rather unappealing, to me at least.

Alison Nicholls
👍 2

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 21:55

As a Northerner I always thought Oxfordshire residents, including our children, were Southerners. 

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 21:38

We have pubs and places to eat, things don’t stay the same for ever. Embrace or avoid . Local people being employed ?

Hans Eriksson
👍 4

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 20:55

He refers to not feeling chased out as a southern. A word starting with w. and ending with what sounds like anchor. Where will it end?

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 20:50

Yes I was wondering the same about the "printed" thing!

Ray Jones
👍 2

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 20:48

Can't help but wonder - what was printed, the children or the potatoes?

I suppose both are possible in this brave new world of ours.

The use of the verb "crawling" is interesting. Does anyone have a copy of "The Stepford Wives"?

I seem to have misplaced mine?

Matthew Greenfield
👍 1

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 20:13

For those who can't get past the paywall on the FT (a friend copied and pasted it for me) here is a taste of Tim Hayward's effussive article:

'The waiter said the rosemary potatoes were essential and “popular with children”, of which plenty were printed. The place was crawling with fine-boned infants in near-couture romper wear. All beautifully polite, impeccably educated and gnawing on thick, herbed wedges like they’d been forbidden carbs at home.'

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 19:54 (last edited on Fri 27 Oct 2023, 19:54)

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 19:54

Time to get out of Charlbury, obviously.

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 13:46

You can pay for a subscription or pay for the paper tomorrow, it's in the magazine. Some things are worth paying for, FT included.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 13:31

I can't get past the paywall!

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 12:50

There was also a review of The Bell in The Times. Free to view for some reason: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/travel/destinations/uk/england/cotswolds/review/the-bell-at-charlbury-hotel

Hans Eriksson
👍 4

Fri 27 Oct 2023, 12:26

Tim Hayward in the FT writing about the Bull. He's very positive 

https://www.ft.com/content/a27c5d5c-aa81-41dd-8880-01d1da16b741

And the D'Ambrosis in House and Garden also writing about the Bull

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/article/best-restaurants-in-cotswolds

Very well done chaps

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.