Ukraine

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 17 Oct 2023, 17:35 (last edited on Tue 17 Oct 2023, 17:38)

If its not too egregious a distortion of History (with a capital "H") I'll definitely try and find it. 

One of the things an alert youngster in a ("Caucasian") working-class Canadian suburban area of "little boxes all made of sticky-tacky", where the waves of displaced people from the horrors of War a decade, populated it with a significant proportion of those who survived and were displaced across an ocean . It was to hear those who bear witness. 

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Mon 16 Oct 2023, 23:22

The film Mr Jones has been on iPlayer for several months.  It’s extremely harrowing in parts, but a true depiction of Ukrainian history during the period of Stalin’s terror. 

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Mon 16 Oct 2023, 19:38

Here you are Malcolm.

From https://www.radiotimes.com/movie-guide/b-yfypg5/mr-jones/

Mr Jones
  • Documentary and factual
  • Thriller
  • Agnieszka Holland
  • 113 mins
Summary

Historical drama starring James Norton and Peter Sarsgaard. In the early 1930s, Welsh journalist Gareth Jones is dispatched to Moscow to interview Joseph Stalin and report on the Soviet Union's trumpeted five-year plan. But in Ukraine, Jones discovers the shocking truth behind Russia's expansion and resolves to publish his findings. However, the USSR are determined to quash the story by any means necessary.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 16 Oct 2023, 18:40

What is the film called and can you give us a URL link to it? 

I'm interested because as a young 'un in Hamilton, Ontario, I knew and talked to - at some length survivors of the Holocaust AND the survivors (not all Jewish) of Stalin's infliction of famine upon Ukraine. It's burned into my memory.

Amanda Epps
👍 1

Mon 16 Oct 2023, 13:36 (last edited on Mon 16 Oct 2023, 22:44)

Those appalled by Russia’s invasion may be interested in a film on BBC 2 tonight at 11.15pm. It’s called Mr Jones, who  was a journalist who travelled through Ukraine in the 1930’s and told the world about the famine Russia had created known as Holodomor.  It’s estimated that more than 4 million people died.

It’s also available on DVD through the Library for a small charge.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.