Waste collection

john h
👍 3

Wed 13 Sep 2023, 13:30 (last edited on Wed 13 Sep 2023, 13:30)

I will carry on separating waste as usual.  Angus, watched all waste go in the same space on the wagon in my part of Town- waste lithium batteries as well. I will make my concerns known to W.O.D.C.  John H

kim collery
👍 1

Wed 13 Sep 2023, 04:26

John h, Better in the dustcart than left strewed across the roads!!!

Angus B
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2023, 23:31

I can assure you that glass was being put in a separate part of the vehicle this morning.... I had plenty of time to study the men’s work practices as I crawled along Pooles Lane behind the dustcart!

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2023, 14:35 (last edited on Tue 12 Sep 2023, 14:39)

I understand your frustration John, I've seen the same.

But separating glass is definitely worth it:

Glass is one of the most widely recycled materials in the UK, with around 70% of container glass being recycled.

Glass is 100% recyclable and can be re-melted endlessly without ever reducing its quality.

Recycling glass has significant environmental benefits.

I don't know/understand about batteries/mobile phones/ other electronic materials - but Ubico are very good at taking away small electronic items e.g. printers, if you put them on their own in a black box.  What happens to them, I don't know.

Simon Towers
👍 3

Tue 12 Sep 2023, 13:35

John it depends on the vehicle they are using if its a co-mingle lorry it does not have the separate compartments but it then gets sorted at the depot once they get back.

Julia Webb
👍 1

Tue 12 Sep 2023, 13:34

When I queried this with WODC I was told that it was due to staffing levels and that the recycling would be back to normal soon. That was over a year ago and they are still throwing the glass in with everything else.

Heather Donegan
👍

Tue 12 Sep 2023, 13:06

This is not specific to our area but may give some general guidance and background.

Call You & Yours: How confident at recycling are you?

Tues 29th August. BBc Radio 4.

john h
👍 3

Tue 12 Sep 2023, 12:09

Can anyone give me an answer please. Its bin day! my carefully separated bins ,from household rubbish, glass,batteries etc, are all thrown into the same section of the bin lorry, this is not  the first time. Am I wasting my time trying to be a good Citizen by separating my rubbish?. Or is this the normal?. John H

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.