Cockerel

Miles Walkden
👍 3

Sat 26 Aug 2023, 08:27

I grew up in a small village before moving to the bright lights of charlbury town. True, we village folk may not know as much as townies, but in my village you would get a pitchfork up you if you brought a cockerel into the centre. 

Rod Evans
👍 4

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 22:51 (last edited on Fri 25 Aug 2023, 22:54)

Wiser counsel would be to keep out of this one but hey - it's the church clock that gets me - every 15 minutes 'Same old Auss-ies, alwAys cheat-ing', a chant I heard a lot this summer.  Not true of course.  Just occasionally.

I can imagine living next to someone else's cockerel could be a pain.  But they have surely lived in and around Charlbury for as long as it's existed.  So when do / did they become unacceptable? When does rural become urban or suburban?? 

Such imponderables.  Loud tinny radio music though - no excuse for that, anywhere - though is it the volume or the quality we're complaining about?! 

Miles Walkden
👍 3

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 22:28

No, having a cockerel in the middle of a town is obnoxious. Totally different from complaining about church bells, mud on the road, etc. I can’t hear it but I would not be happy. 

Chris Wastie
👍 1

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 19:54

John you forgot the dredfull smells comeing from the farm.....Chris wastie.......

Julia Webb
👍 3

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 19:31

Countryside or not, surely everyone has a right to sleep. 

Charlie M
👍 9

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 19:29

As far as I know, that is what cockerels tend to do. And Charlbury is a country town, not a town town. Crow and let crow, says I! 

john h
👍 9

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 19:11

This is the countryside you know!!, lets silence the church bells,  and stop the cattle  across the river mooing . JH

Paul Butler McLees
👍 7

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 16:21 (last edited on Fri 25 Aug 2023, 16:23)

Although retaining a love, and wholesome respect, for Charlbury, its byeways, position in the geography of West Oxfordshire, the fine social and cultural scene, the libertarian values and above average Guardian readership we don’t miss the your wonky Wi-Fi or the tinny music. In Chippy we prefer our music delivered accoustically or with a decent sub woofer although we welcome the occasional cockerel to break the general silence of nothingness which has been hard fought by generations. With kind regards. Miss you. 

Suzie Williams
👍 7

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 11:28

Perhaps it’s the same person on or near Crawborough or Sandford Rise who has started blaring loud, tinny radio music in their garden constantly from midday to 7pm every day? Cockerels and crap music! 

Julia Webb
👍 2

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 09:42 (last edited on Fri 25 Aug 2023, 09:42)

There are 2 or 3 that start crowing at about 1in the morning near Little Lees. It was lovely when we first moved in, but the novelty soon wore off. The only downside to a lovely town.

Chicken korma for me :-)

George Ogier
👍 8

Fri 25 Aug 2023, 09:13

Whoever has invested in a cockerel, on or near Crawborough, thanks for that. Constant noise from sun up to sundown. 

I feel like chicken tonight...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.