Charlbury Dairy

John Larder
👍

Thu 6 May 2010, 22:07

Having lived across the road from Harold and Mary, and Mike and Pat as a youngster they were a large part of my childhood and neighbours above and beyond expectation. I have many fond memories of the Pratley family both opposite and next door. Nothing written here surprises me about their attitude to helping people and making the deliveries no matter how difficult the situation.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2010, 23:08

I saw signs of tyre chains on Hundley Way the other day - is this the dairy being highly organised and investing in the past sometime on some long term capital goods - chains - the concentrated weight of a batteried electric milkfloat will really cut through for some traction (err do they use electric milkfloats) or someone else? Haven't seen sight of a mail van. In Canada studded tyres ("tires") or tyre chains and deep treaded "winter" tyres were a legal requirement to be fitted or available (i.e. carried in the vehicle) from October to April.... No recall of any problems apart from the 6 foot drifting blizzards that brought even the "Erie Snowbelt" to a stop for a few days... our average annual snowfall was some 108" there and that was a good year! But tended to come down nicely incrementally not in one big thump. But 10" wouldn't have even caused people to blink! I miss the mandatory law that said that people HAD TO clear the pathways (sidewalks) in front of their property and wonder if Charlbury has the power to mandate a byelaw to make requisite the same shovelling. This is a SERIOUS query about the powers of a Parish Council!!!

Great little earner for the older kids! No slipping and breaking hips going to the rail station. I'm fed up with the snow and its mostly the chaos and lack of preparedness (and frozen outside drains - a crazy idea) that have pe*d me off along with slipping and sliding on the way to the shops and I've already broken my pelvis once thanks very much and don't want to do so again!

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2010, 15:22

Yes, a big thank you. Especially to Steve who is the person who covers the outlying areas, I think. Reaches parts of Charlbury that others can't reach ...

Pippa Nash
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2010, 14:01

Agreed. Wonderful and a BIG THANK YOU from me. Still can't get my car out of the road, but get milk delivered.

graham W
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2010, 11:41

I would also like to commend their efforts, the whole team always have managed to get their wares onto the doorsteps of our community whereas other can't!
WELL DONE TO MIKE, VICKIE AND STEVE

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2010, 11:07

Yes a very BIG thanks to Vickie who has gone beyond the call of duty delivering milk for my 95 year old granny.
Even putting th milk in the fridge for her!!!
Very much appreciated at the moment.
THANK YOU......

Birgit den Outer
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2010, 11:00

I second that emotion. We live on Hundley Way, and although they come later than normal, they still come.

Michael Sibly
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2010, 07:08

Just to pick up the comment in the previous discussion about shops, Mike and Vicky at Charlbury Dairy have really excelled in keeping deliveries going in the snow, but I was surprised at the implication in the previous string that so many people don't use them. They have reliably and faithfully delivered my milk and juice (in returnable bottles, not plastic ones) for 18 years; never a missed day, never a wrong order. They also deliver fresh eggs, butter, cream, yoghurt, bread, and those fab boxes of broken chocolate biscuits that are just as good as the unbroken ones. So if anyone is reading and doesn't know them, check them out)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.