Chipping Norton Dental Practice (now Damira)

Laura Ellison
👍

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 19:34

I can recommend Lion House Dental in Hook Norton, unfortunately not taking Charlbury NHS patients but they're reasonable for private care. I got a new patient offer for my initial dental checkup for about £40 which included top and bottom x rays and my little boy has private dental checkups for £25. Not ideal as everyone knows the problem with accessing nhs dental care, but if you have to go private, then I highly recommend Lion House (especially if you're a dental-phobe like me!) 

Helen Chapman
👍 2

Wed 16 Aug 2023, 13:40

Thanks everyone for your comments - it sounds like most people have had similar experiences with Damira - but you’re caught between a rock and a hard place if you want NHS treatment.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 3

Tue 15 Aug 2023, 07:55

As far as I'm aware charlbury is no longer NHS which is why as an almost full-time carer (which also means London isn't a possibility) I can't afford to go there. I am not sure what my options are as with cerebral palsy and a hyper gag reflex I need my teeth looked after as dentures aren't something I can ever wear.

My mother is with Damira as an NHS patient, but since they took over despite being on medication that the hospital says means she needs 6 monthly checkups she's had one (and since Covid she's only had one prior to that)

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Tue 15 Aug 2023, 07:43

I go to Corn St Dental Practice in Witney and they are brilliant. I've always taken the kids there too, even though not NHS. The kids are signed up to Denplan, which is £12/mo for both. Covers check ups, emergencies, fissure sealant etc.i know it's not the best time to have to take on extra costs, but for my two this has been great value and they will always see us promptly if urgent.

Charlie M
👍 4

Tue 15 Aug 2023, 05:32

It is my belief that - if a dentist to be allowed to practise in the UK - it should be a condition that they are obliged to take a certain proportion (25% maybe?) of NHS patients. That percentage would need to be decided upon, because I have no idea of the extent of the problem. But that would be a start.

Claire Wilding
👍 1

Mon 14 Aug 2023, 22:32

I felt ashamed last year when I tried to help a Ukrainian guest find somewhere for urgent dental care, not a single place would help. Many of these dentists have trained in the UK, they shouldn't be allowed to refuse to treat people in need. 

Jody O'Reilly
👍 2

Mon 14 Aug 2023, 21:50

I’ve had a similar experience to you Helen but can’t face losing that NHS spot. Horrible to get appointments though - heaven forbid any of us get anything urgent that needs addressing. The drop in service and everything else is indeed since it became Demira. 

Emily Algar
👍 4

Mon 14 Aug 2023, 21:39

Charlbury Dental Practice, however good, is only for the privileged few of us who can afford very expensive dental care.

Helen - have you tried Church Green dental to see if they are taking NHS patients?

You can also refer yourself to Guy's Hospital in London - yes, a trek - but it's free and the students are really thorough. The best teeth clean I had was at Guy's.

Rachel Ramsay
👍 2

Mon 14 Aug 2023, 18:06

Charlbury Dental Practice is excellent and I’ve never had any complaints about them. 

Claire Wilding
👍 15

Mon 14 Aug 2023, 17:51

I'm with Damira, it's appalling, but nowhere will take NHS. I can give you the email address of the practice manager if you want to complain.  My husband was at Long Hanborough, but they've kicked out all their NHS patients and there's nowhere else to go. As an adult you have the option to go private, but that's not an option for kids. I'm beyond disgusted at the state of NHS dentistry for children. Welcome to Tory Britain. 

Helen Chapman
👍 6

Mon 14 Aug 2023, 17:01

I know lots of people in Charlbury use the Chipping Norton Dental Practice. I've been pretty fed up with them recently, since they were taken over by Damira in fact, for a number of reasons:

- Lack of available appointments (sometimes only available 4 months in advance)

-  I've had multiple emails touting for lip fillers and botox treatment

- Today I have been trying to book a hygenist appointment, and there are none available online and no-one is answering the phone at all.

I am wondering if other people have had similar experiences, and whether anyone has moved successfully to another NHS practice. It's such a shame that the Charlbury dentist has so few NHS patients - I hear good things about them from people who have used them. Hook Norton are not currently taking on new NHS patients.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.