Telephone service without broadband for my neighbour?

Alice Brander
👍 1

Tue 8 Aug 2023, 17:17

I looked at Which and Frank is right - BT.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cordless-phones/article/cheapest-uk-home-phone-landline-provider-deals-aYknF4I4ajJ1

In the next couple of years this line will be changed to digital.   It might be easier to ask BT to come and do this now and change to the right payment at the same time.  Others will understand it better.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/consumer-issues/changes-to-landline-telephones/

Frank Payne
👍 1

Tue 8 Aug 2023, 16:55

I believe British Telecom still does this and was one of the few who did. Our landline is with them with no broadband included. We preferred to keep that separate. 

Frank

Valerie Stewart
👍 1

Tue 8 Aug 2023, 16:31 (last edited on Tue 8 Aug 2023, 16:32)

Does anyone know where my neighbour can get a basic landline phone service without added internet access? 

I've just spent a very frustrating four hours trying to trace what happened when SSE sold their phone business to OVO, who sold it to TalkTalk, who set up a business called Origin Broadband, who only communicate with their (often reluctant) customers by email.  The problems began when she noticed her bank statement reading a sizeable sum of money going to an entity called Broadband.  She doesn't have broadband.  This afternoon I spoke to someone from the subcontinent who told me (I quote directly) 'Because it says Broadband doesn't mean it's broadband.'  She didn't know about the convoluted path to a new supplier because they only communicate online, which she doesn't have.  (I'm sharing this just in case anyone else had been migrated from SSE without their knowledge or consent and is puzzled).  

I'm just trying to get her a service that doesn't play silly so-and-sos with an 88 year old lady who while quite in her wits is at a loss to understand what's happening to her world.  Many thanks. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.