TVP Emergency Closure of 5 Ways Junction Grammer Schl Hill

Philip Ambrose
👍 5

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 22:09

Maybe we will see rather better driving / parking behaviour when the Horse Trials take place 6-10 September?

Given the location of Cornbury and the nature of Charlbury town centre, one would have thought that by now OCC, WODC, TVP, Cornbury Estate, and all event organisers using Cornbury would have a well honed traffic management plan covering the build-up, running and break-down phases of any significant event at this venue. If not, why not?

From what I have seen, ALL parties need to up their game, otherwise local residents may quite understandably cry enough.

Janet Burroughs
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 17:00

Yes, active and professional marshalling and signage. Use of the Forum to message is helpful but only one part of the puzzle. If you are local and had been out of the area and were returning you might quite reasonably thought you could drive towards the centre via Grammar School Hill, especially if the “marshals” were standing off road by allotments, as one resident told me they did. Proper No Entry signage would have prevented. 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 16:10

There were no traffic marshals at the junction at 8:30 last night: I mentioned this to police who said they would require Wilderness to remedy this.

There was a traffic marshal in place when I left the festival later.

Police presence through the event was somewhat low key.

andrew shaw
👍 2

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 15:47

Yes I think they were meant to look official. A police officer reading this will realize why I asked the question

Claire Wilding
👍 1

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 13:35

Yes there were official type people directing traffic last night when I went by around 2230, I think it was police though not sure. The police could have been much more assertive about towing cars that were causing an obstruction.  I heard cars were wheel spinning trying to get on and off site even on Friday, so that may have encouraged some people to park on roads rather than the official car parks. 

andrew shaw
👍 2

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 13:28 (last edited on Mon 7 Aug 2023, 13:28)

Did anyone see a Police Officer or Traffic Officer directing traffic at Fiveways Junction or Cornbury Entrance last evening?

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 13:07 (last edited on Mon 7 Aug 2023, 14:44)

I've passed this on to Environmental Services at WODC.  In the past the road at Fiveways has been coned off - in fact I recall some concern on the part of residents that they weren't allowed to park there - and the traffic wasn't allowed to turn towards the town.  Not sure why or how that was changed this year.

Katie Ewer
👍 10

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 13:03

And Chris, that is the problem with Wilderness. There are a minority of Charlbury residents who want to/can afford to go, but for the rest of us it's just enforced noise, traffic, litter (look at the state outside Londis this morning) and inconvenience. The festival may well have been fantastic, but who benefits in Charlbury other than those that can go......

Christopher Tatton
👍 2

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 12:35

Really don’t understand what happened to traffic management this year, if you can call it that. Absolute chaos around the North Lodge exit as a continuous stream of traffic was allowed out onto narrow roads of Charlbury. Worst traffic management in last ten years. Such a shame, as the festival was fantastic. 

Mark Sulik
👍 4

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 11:14

With the grid lock on the exit route for campers  and chaos one would assume it’s not being managed ( probably or at all ) and basically- no one gives a hoot 🦉 

andrew shaw
👍 2

Mon 7 Aug 2023, 10:29 (last edited on Mon 7 Aug 2023, 11:35)

So a TVP Emergency Traffic Order was made. I would like to see a copy of that Order and find out who was actually in charge of the traffic arrangements.  This was for a road closure Order I doubt Wilderness would have been granted if they had applied for it in the usual way.  I just cannot understand why a day before the festival took place the length of roadway most likely to cause an issue was not bollarded by TVP just like last year when things went smoothly, without recourse to Emergency Traffic Orders, damage to the verges, walls and the like? 

Michael Grant
👍 3

Sun 6 Aug 2023, 20:23

Kath

Funnily enough I have emailed them along the same lines , it would be nice if the extra staff could deter the drivers in cars from using their mobiles whilst in the queues to get in, or stop them or suggest / deter the other questionable activities.

However I got a reply telling me it will be 21 days before they respond ( not sure if that is working days or not) 

Kath Lowe
👍 17

Sun 6 Aug 2023, 15:02 (last edited on Sun 6 Aug 2023, 15:03)

Hi Sarah. Can you say whether you will be revising your Traffic Management Plan for 2024 please - including parking? It looks like you need to apply for a traffic order to cone off Grammar School Hill past the entrance to Cornbury and up to Wellington Terrace. This morning cars were parking all along that stretch, some of them parked on the pavement causing an actual obstruction as there was not enough room for push chairs or wheelchairs to pass. One of the cars had a crew parking pass displayed and others had Wilderness passes displayed. Perhaps they were reluctant to use the parking within the festival for fear of getting stuck in the mud. You have a lot of stewards/security people who stand at junctions - sometimes more than one in the same place - who could walk the pavements and deter festival goers from parking on public roads and causing a nuisance/safety issue to pedestrians. While some locals support the festival, others do not. It's not just about noise caused by the festival, but traffic disruption and the enormous carbon footprint. The festival may only last a weekend, but the build up with increased traffic (much of it large lorries) and then the dismantling lasts for weeks. I think you need to make sure as little disruption and environmental damage as possible is caused. 

Brian Murray
👍 9

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 22:01

Sarah, would you, as Wilderness, please ask TVP to ensure that vehicles exiting via North Lodge tonight, do not turn left on Park Street towards the old Grammar School and Charlbury. A closure sign at Fiveways is, in itself, not enough and your traffic marshal at the end of the access drive faces some unpleasant situations.

Philip Ambrose
👍 1

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 21:49

GrammEr School? Oh dear! 

Gareth Epps
👍 5

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 21:41 (last edited on Sat 5 Aug 2023, 21:55)

This is sensible.  However, it will not deal with individuals such as the black cab driver about whom I’ve made a formal complaint today for illegally turning out of North Lodge towards town after being told not to, then behaving in an extremely abusive manner in front of my children when challenged.

It would help if vehicles such as taxis were sent out via other routes.  If you have similar experiences with taxis acting illegally, please try and take a photo of their licence plate and note the authority issuing the licence.  They can be reported and some authorities will suspend miscreants’ licenses.

Clearly a lesson to be learned for future years.

Sue Normand
👍

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 21:39

That makes sense.... 

Sarah Tombulca
👍 1

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 20:49

Hi Charlbury Residents,

Due to the left-hand carriageway being obstructed by parked vehicles at Grammer School Hill, it is not possible for vehicles to pass both ways. In order to minimise traffic congestion and reduce any risk for pedestrians, there will be an emergency temporary closure put in place by Thames Valley Police at 5 Ways Junction preventing vehicles to turn left onto Grammer School Hill from now. It will be kept under review and will be lifted as soon as it is not required anymore.

The road was subject to coning to deter parking however there is no traffic order in place, which has resulted in vehicles parking on the road.

We anticipate there will minimal impact but should reduce the risk identified.

Thank you for your understanding and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us 020 80801467.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.