Introducing the Apocrypha

John Dora
👍

Sun 6 Aug 2023, 10:10

Smoked fish? If they are Arbroath Smokies then they are a food of designated origin, so do please advise the consumers of the fish to be sure they're eating the genuine article. :)

John Partington
👍

Sat 5 Aug 2023, 14:42 (last edited on Sat 5 Aug 2023, 16:49)

[No, Susie - the Apocrypha's quite tame compared to the Bible itself, which is full of "naughty bits".]

We agreed at our meeting on the 16th to have occasional sessions (an hour on Sunday evenings, 6.00 pm in St Mary's) looking at various books of the Apocrypha.

The first three will be tomorrow (6th), followed by August 20th and September 17th.

Tomorrow's book is the delightful tale of Tobit & Tobias - the one with the unexpected dog (is it perhaps a canine angel?), and the chasing away of a demon by using smoked fish.  [I told you it wasn't quite up to Bible standard!]

All welcome -- no previous knowledge (or belief!) required.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 14 Jul 2023, 17:36 (last edited on Fri 14 Jul 2023, 17:37)

Hi John I thought it was all the naughty bits in the bible that were in the apocrypha !!

michele marietta
👍 1

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 21:34

Hiya John. I'd be interested in a recording!

John Partington
👍 1

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 17:50 (last edited on Wed 12 Jul 2023, 19:20)

There was a lot of positive feedback about the 'Book a Week of the Old Testament' sessions that I & others led a couple of years ago.  So I thought we'd enjoy ourselves this autumn (before the new Vicar arrives and encourages us to do something more sensible) by looking at the 'Apocrypha' - the dozen or so books that bridge the gap between the Old & New Testaments.

It's a little-known part of scripture, and isn't even included in most English Bibles (having been given the thumbs-down at the Reformation), but has some enchanting, and beautiful, passages - including one featuring the only pet dog in the Bible.

I'm leading a one-off session this Sunday (16th) in St Mary's to give an overview of the Apocrypha -- its history, theology and relevance to today -- and then those who wish can look with me in more detail at each book from time to time over the next few months.

So come and join us for three-quarters of an hour in St Mary's at 6.00 pm on Sunday, and then (optionally) continue the discussion in the Rose & Crown afterwards.

[I'm hoping to make a recording of the session available via Zoom: let me know if you'd be interested in that.]

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.